Home > Forum > Categories > Site Feedback > Trip Report page weirdly maintains other users' search terms?

Trip Report page weirdly maintains other users' search terms?

• frankfrank
  • [frankfrank]
More
08 Dec 2020 10:41 - 08 Feb 2021 09:42 #234223 by frankfrank
Sometimes when loading the basic trip report page (turns-all-year.com/trip-reports), instead of showing all of the recent reports, the TRs will already be filtered, with some selections and a search term present. Like right now, it has "Blewett Pass" filled in the text search, and "2020", "Dec", and "WA elsewhere" selected in the row above that. This is not a search that I have done, so I assume somehow the database is maintaining what some other user has recently searched for. It's not a big problem, in that I can always just hit Reset and continue, but it's often confusing to see a different set of search results each time I visit, possibly more confusing for others that don't realize it does this.

Also possibly related (though fairly inconsequential), the text at the top of this page, just below the blue banner, sometimes has the title of a specific TR, for no apparent reason. Right now, it shows " Home > Trip Reports > Juneuary 17-18, 2009, Mt Rainier, Fuhrer Finger", and again that's on the main TR page (turns-all-year.com/trip-reports).
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 09:42 by MtnPavlas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Dec 2020 12:27 #234224 by MtnPavlas
Thanks for reporting this, Frank. Sounds like some weird caching at play here. Chance you'd have a screenshot you could share (please do include the entire address bar, too). It would help tremendously with troubleshooting as I can't reproduce it on my end. Thank you!

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
08 Dec 2020 15:37 #234225 by kamtron
I've gone to the TRs and randomly seen some search terms a few times lately, not sure whether they were other people's or mine.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 Dec 2020 17:19 #234227 by MtnPavlas
Thanks. Not dismissing this at all, just need some help reproducing it / troubleshooting : )
So if anyone sees it, please grab a screenshot of your browser, including the entire URL in the address bar, and share what device and browser (including version) you're using.
Thanks a million.

• frankfrank
  • [frankfrank]
More
08 Dec 2020 22:40 #234228 by frankfrank
Yeah, it is hard to reproduce since it is intermittent. It was working normally most times I checked today. But it did happen again tonight. Now (as of 10:26pm), I'm getting a "copper peak" search term popping up. It happens the same for me on three different devices (not logged in): Opera 72.0.3815.320 on Windows (screenshot attached), Safari on iOS 13.5.1, and Chrome 83.0.4103.106 on Android. All viewing turns-all-year.com/trip-reports, nothing else in the URL. (If I hit "Reset", then it adds on the parameters to the URL that reset all the search fields, and that works just fine.)
Attachments:

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Dec 2020 00:12 #234229 by MtnPavlas
Thank you again. For the life of me, I can't repro this on Opera+Android (logged in or out) or other browser+device combo, but will keep on trying. Best I have right now is that it's the browser or some extension populating the search field.

If others could please post screenshots of their experience here, I'll keep digging.

More
11 Dec 2020 11:34 #234242 by mfonda
Hi Pavel,

I ran into this issue again toady (previously happened to me about a week ago). I loaded up turns-all-year.com/trip-reports (not logged in, Chrome/MacOS) and the attached screenshot is what loaded. 

I then loaded turns-all-year.com/trip-reports in a new incognito window, same result.

In both cases, refreshing the page did not fix it, but oddly enough, clicking the Trip Reports link in the Home > Trip Reports breadcrumb did. In all cases I've encountered this issue, it appears to be the title of a specific TR that appears in the breadcrumb (as opposed to search term).

Perhaps also worth noting, when doing a search (e.g. searched for "slot couloir" in the search box, which took me to the URL turns-all-year.com/trip-reports?tr_year_...earch=tr&task=search), the search appears to have worked as expected, but the breadcrumb shows the title of a recent trip report ("White Salmon"). See second screenshot. The "White Salmon" has persisted for me across multiple browsers and devices (Firefox, Chrome incognito, Safari on MacOS, Firefox on iOS).

Whatever the issue may be, I suspect it is a server-side issue.

Hope this helps!
Attachments:

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
11 Dec 2020 13:41 - 11 Dec 2020 13:44 #234243 by kamtron
Just had this happen to me again. Address bar just shows trip-reports, no search terms.

Also, copy-pasting this image (ctrl-v) in the message looked fine, but turned into garbage once I submitted the post. Had to edit and use the "attachment" feature.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2020 13:44 by kamtron. Reason: fixing garbled image

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Dec 2020 13:45 - 11 Dec 2020 13:50 #234244 by MtnPavlas
Thanks, all, for the help with narrowing down the root cause. It seems it was related to the persistent search functionality (where if you search for something on the TR's page, and set up your filters just right, then go to one of the TR's, then come back ... the idea was your previous search/filters would be preserved so you don't have to repeat it again and again as you go in and out of TR's). 

This was turned on for both the logged in users and guests. I turned it off for guests, and it seems to work better now (at least, I cannot reproduce it on my end any more). However, the persistent search doesn't seem to work properly for logged-in users (will put it on the bug fix list : )

The other thing was cached breadcrumbs - I turned caching off for that, and it now works well on my end, too.

Anyway - please do report if you see anything funky still. Thanks!
Last edit: 11 Dec 2020 13:50 by MtnPavlas.