New skin recommendations

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
  • kamtron's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2021 10:05 - 04 Jan 2021 10:08 #234406 by kamtron
New skin recommendations was created by kamtron
Hello Tayers, I'm looking for new skins to be used with my "winter" touring skis which will of course experience all kinds of dry to liquid snow. I'm looking for a mostly/completely mohair type to save weight on bigger skis. I'd like to know what's worked best for people in terms of glue durability. I ski enough that it seems like my glue always gets contaminated due to the wet snow we experience and I end up needing a reglue within a season of a new skin. I'll do the bag + iron trick maybe once, but at a certain point the glue is shot. Pretty much all my experience has been with BD & G3 skins. BD glue does not seem to last any longer than G3, despite the reputations.

I'm thinking of checking out the Pomocas but have heard mixed things. These Kohla brand seem interesting, as I imagine the completely waterproof rubber layer could help prevent water creeping through the plush and getting at the glue from beneath: www.wildsnow.com/28043/kohla-fiber-seal-climbing-skin-review/

Anybody have opinions?
Last edit: 04 Jan 2021 10:08 by kamtron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2021 13:58 #234416 by SmithSM
Replied by SmithSM on topic New skin recommendations
After experiencing rapid glue degradation on two pairs of G3 skins, I bought Contour hybrid skins last fall. They have a different kind of glue to adhere to ski bases - not as tacky and can be refreshed with a wash. There is a nylon/mohair blend version and mohair only version. Not sure how they will perform in the conditions you describe, but I haven't had any issues with mine so far. It's also REALLY nice to not have to constantly baby my skins and check them for pine needles and dirt and hair. Now I just throw them in my pack and wipe off the glue side when I'm home.

www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/brands/.../hybrid-pure-115-mm/ 

More
05 Jan 2021 21:06 #234427 by MuradN
Replied by MuradN on topic New skin recommendations
I've been through BD, Contour and Pomoca skins and have been the most impressed with Pomoca. The Contour skins were great for mid winter touring but were generally awful for spring skiing or really wet days.

More
11 Jan 2021 11:07 #234467 by aaasen
Replied by aaasen on topic New skin recommendations
I have a pair of the Contour hybrid skins and they are by far the most finicky skins I have used. Really need to baby them when doing multiple laps. Only advantage is that you definitely won't get skin glue on your bases. Got them this season and I have only used them in Utah so no idea how they work in wet snow. 

I really like the Pomoca skins but the glue does eventually degrade and leave residue on the bases. 

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
11 Jan 2021 12:12 #234468 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic New skin recommendations
Seems like it's inevitable.
I went with the Kohlas and will see how they do.

More
11 Jan 2021 16:10 #234471 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic New skin recommendations
Let us know how they work. Inquiring minds want to know. 

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Jan 2021 17:47 #234473 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic New skin recommendations
I'm really curious, as well ... following this topic.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
12 Jan 2021 08:19 #234476 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic New skin recommendations
They'll get delivered in a week or two, then I'll put them to use and see what happens ;-)