Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > source lake uphill dog park trail

source lake uphill dog park trail

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
19 Jan 2016 07:52 #225799 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Dude i agree with you its probably a good idea to leash your dog on a trail that empties out runs from a ski area, at least till you get above the congested section down low. But Jim Oker pretty much sums it up in his previous post. If I remember correctly there are also signs warning skiers to watch for uphill traffic.

I could be wrong but I don't think that trail is technically part of the ski area, so therefore it's just like any other piece of FS land, where there are no dog leash laws.

It's in the permitted area and there is FS land that requires you to leash your dog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2016 07:57 #225800 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Obviously. Like a ski area, for example. Maybe the out run is in the permitted area but a quick glance at the trail map shows it as outside the ski area boundary, so go figure.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
19 Jan 2016 08:54 #225803 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

It's in the permitted area and there is FS land that requires you to leash your dog

This...
And he is in a position to know.

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
19 Jan 2016 09:14 #225804 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Obviously. Like a ski area, for example. Maybe the out run is in the permitted area but a quick glance at the trail map shows it as outside the ski area boundary, so go figure.

A quick glance at the map shows it as the "Back Bowls Boundary" which are within the ski area boundary. Most all FS trails on the I90 corridor require dogs to be leashed

More
19 Jan 2016 09:46 #225806 by Jsper
Replied by Jsper on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Hi Pete! Much love to you and Rainy wherever she may be!
Super tacky of someone to bring that up. I would advise
you stop the conversing with these dorks man. When u bicker with
idiots eventually they'll wear you down and bring you down to there
rule abiding, sheep following thoughtless, mindless ways brother.
We live east of the crest, in the mts. , with tons of space to roam
for a reason homey. When I see poop, I Ollie that shit.

More
19 Jan 2016 09:53 #225807 by JPH
Replied by JPH on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Most all FS trails on the I90 corridor require dogs to be leashed

Most trails on the north side of I-90 (not so much on the south side), but I doubt the FS considers this a trail. The Snow Lake trail would certainly require a leash.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jan 2016 09:55 #225808 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

When I see poop, I Ollie that shit.

Which reminds me - folks should be careful about what they ask for. I often see folks asking that dog owners carry the poop out. Which I am guessing is a higher standard than most apply to their own craps when they gotta go while out on tour. But I also bet most folks don't just drop their own poo in the track or nearby and leave it there for all to see and possibly ski on or fall into.

The "carry it out, please" has sort of worked for lots of busy I-90 hiking trails. Sort of. Like halfway. The bad half. Many of these trails are now littered with dog poop in bags - people bag it but don't want to carry it up with them. And surprise surprise, some percent of those folks forget and the bags hang around forever compared to an ollied poop.

But damn, the meltout of both the part of that trail near the upper lot as well as the bottom of the gold creek XC/snowshoe/circus trail is not pretty!

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
19 Jan 2016 10:31 #225809 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Nice job fellas on the brilliant insight. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one with my dog on the day she was lost. There also wasn't any irresponsible activity on anyone's part that day anyway. But thanks for bringing up the happy memories!

Letting your off leash dog chase deer is not only irresponsible but illegal. I'm sorry you, your wife actually, lost your dog but that doesn't excuse the fact that you or your wife didn't have your dog under strict verbal control as required by law in both Chelan and Kittitas counties and on all FS lands. I've been there, it sucks but it's my fault if my dog chases wildlife.

Below, Jsper says it's all okay because we live east of the crest. I live east of the crest. Most everyone I know over here is very intolerant of uncontrolled, off leash dogs.

More
19 Jan 2016 10:40 #225810 by Jsper
Replied by Jsper on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Aaron you're the master of putting words in people's mouth bud.
I've seen your snide comments before on a variety of forums. Never
said it's ok but what is real is that, now listen close Aaron , is we accept
responsibility for our actions . Don't care what county policies are. I'm sure
Rainy was yelled at but she didn't listen. So the consequences are they go
home with no dog and are sad. They live with that.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
19 Jan 2016 10:48 - 19 Jan 2016 10:52 #225812 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Aaron you're the master of putting words in people's mouth bud.
I've seen your snide comments before on a variety of forums. Never
said it's ok but what is real is that, now listen close Aaron , is we accept
responsibility for our actions . Don't care what county policies are. I'm sure
Rainy was yelled at but she didn't listen. So the consequences are they go
home with no dog and are sad. They live with that.

So, Pete said no one was irresponsible but it's illegal for someone to let their dog chase wildlife, how is that not irresponsible? He said that, I didn't. How is that putting words in his mouth?

I take personal responsibility for everything I do and if my dog were lost or shot by a game warden for chasing deer that would be my fault and I would accept any legal consequences that I faced. I wouldn't claim I wasn't being irresponsible. Do you know why it's illegal to let your dog chase deer?

Are you above the law? That seems to be what you are saying for yourself and also for Pete.

The only people that have been truly snide in this thread are you and Pete.

More
19 Jan 2016 12:57 #225817 by Pete_H
Hey I'll be the first to admit I've made sarcastic comments on this thread. But if you don't think that was warranted please go back and reread the original post, which was caustic and patronizing to all those who earn their turns, regardless of the dog issue. I have thick skin and I can handle someone being rude on the Internet but don't whine when it comes back around.

At any rate, i hope dog owners be responsible and leash their dogs when appropriate and others can relax a bit and forgive an indiscression or two unless there is a genuine safety issue, like the gentleman who posted about running into the golden retriever.

More
19 Jan 2016 14:48 #225820 by gravyb
Replied by gravyb on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
To clarify someone's guess on signage, they've never had a sign telling skiers to watch out for uphill traffic. They did however used to have a sign near the lot saying no uphill traffic and to watch for high speed on-coming traffic.

Near the lot is the critical area for leashes. Once you're a 1/4 mile up the trail it's much less of an issue and collision risk.

Very true that poop left sitting for eternity in a plastic bag is ironic and depressing.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jan 2016 15:10 - 19 Jan 2016 15:40 #225821 by Jim Oker
BTW, I get that the posters who called out Pete for his lost dog likely think this was totally relevant to the thread, but FWIW, in the context and given the wording, the first reference to this loss on page 1 came off as a very personal sort of "insert knife and twist" sort of personal dig versus a really clear argument for proper handling of dogs. It's hard to read this as not being meant as being a personal dig as anything else. Yes, good voice control is important as Aaron points out, but IMO it's not sufficient and thus not super on-point with respect to the blind-curves-bowling-alley of this stretch of the Alpental border - the interactions just happen so fast along there that voice control won't be quick enough in many cases.

As for snideness, some might read the OP's reference to "you big tour studs" outfitted with full regalia as possibly just a teensy bit snide too - I know I did when I first saw that post. Perhaps understandable given the "righteous rant" nature of this anti-poo thread, but snide is snide. Not a good excuse to respond in-kind if you don't like snideness of course.

FWIW, I would never tuck above and past the water tower to make it across the flat above the upper parking lot (especially getting to upwards of 40 MPH in that circus zone =8-O ). Regardless of what the circus crew should be doing there, I know what they actually tend to be doing, and I would rather skate a little alongside the parking lot than take what I see as a significant risk of collision - same deal further up the hill closer to Source Lake where it's a bit roller-coaster-y - I accept a little skating, sidestepping, or herringboning as a cost of avoiding hitting a goomba or their dog. Regardless of who I could say would be technically "at fault" in case of a collision there, I'd still prefer to avoid the risk. YMMV

More
19 Jan 2016 16:12 #225823 by Mofro
Replied by Mofro on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
In all my years of slack country skiing Alpental I have never hit anyone unintentionally ;). Small children may dart from time to time but generally don't try to run toward you and nip like some off leash dogs will.  I was there when one of our group (3rd to go past) couldn't avoid one of the 2 dogs charging at us on the upper ski trail out above the water tower run out to lot 4, resulting in a lot of blood and doggie carnage. Nothing reckless or careless by the skier, all on the off leash dogs.  And I remember that another dog lover in our group took it upon himself to use his shirt to stop the bleeding, and then spent the rest of his afternoon driving the dog and the owner to the animal clinic in north bend to get mended.

As for dogs on the ski hill, in the nineties before chair 1 was replaced with the lovely high speed quad, my dog at the time would occasionally wander up from the loop road to look for hand outs from the female (that dog had a thing for the ladies) parking lot ski school crowd. On more than one occasion he spotted me while I was loading the chair and would run up the entire length of the chair, beating it to the top and meeting me at the off ramp. One spring day he met his match as we continued up to 2 and that darn dog tried to run up the Fan through the slush, no way could he keep up with the chair on that rise. I thought he was going to implode his little doggie heart and found him exhausted in the flats of tower nine. We skied back down the Fan and he got a free ride up the lift for a run down Nash.   

More
19 Jan 2016 17:30 - 19 Jan 2016 17:53 #225826 by Pete_H
Ha. Funny story Mofro (the second one).

Glenn, by the way, you didn't deserve my snide comment to your first post. I could have made my point in a lot less of an assnholish manner. Sorry for that.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
19 Jan 2016 19:19 #225828 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Pete,
I'm sorry, too, and my condolences to all re Rainy, a dog I went looking for a couple of times after you'd reported her missing. I'm sad you didn't have a better outcome.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jan 2016 19:34 #225829 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

I would advise
you stop the conversing with these dorks man. When u bicker with
idiots eventually they'll wear  you down and bring you down to there
rule abiding, sheep following thoughtless, mindless ways brother.
We live east of the crest, in the mts.

good way to have a conversation, huh?
Pete, the source lake trail policy reads as such;
The trail is located within the Alpental Ski Area Special Use Permit Boundries and is designated for Downhill Ski Traffic Only.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Jan 2016 21:04 #225832 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Discussion of boundaries and policies aside, I saw a fella charge up the groomed trail from the lot in his truck the other night. Imagine facing that as a downhill skier in the dark. I didn't wait around long enough to see if he returned.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Jan 2016 11:57 #225836 by Jim Oker

Pete, the source lake trail policy reads as such;
The trail is located within the Alpental Ski Area Special Use Permit Boundries and is designated for Downhill Ski Traffic Only.

Not to beat the dead horse, but it's worth sharing what Gib had to say on the Summit uphill travel policy sticky thread :

For getting further afield - even though "technically" you might be skirting along and somewhat through our permit area, we do not preclude you from heading up the South Fork valley towards Source Lake in order to access points beyond our operating area.  ie   Great Scott, The Tooth, Chair Peak, Kaleetan, etc.  But the savvy traveller must be aware that all of the left hand slopes are avalanche prone terrain and may in fact have very happy little triggers riding every feature.  Natural and human triggered slides have often endangered and trashed those commonly used up-valley skin and snowshoe routes.  We ask that you stay trail right when on the groomed return trails and once those peter out you should make your own way rather than following the downhill ski area return tracks.  VERY hazardous high speed (sometimes less-skilled) oncoming traffic will be on those tracks.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jan 2016 15:32 #225840 by flowing alpy
I like that gib calls us happy little triggers:-)

My original point, was triggered over the weeks from witnessing groups of equipment rich young people, that were using lot4 as their base to explore the backcountry. Many, appeared very avalanche and weather savvy, by the looks of their gear and had very expensive snow travel tools.
The interesting part was seeing the different way those that brought their dogs behaved. Some owners were very courteous, kept their animal close and usually had or was using a leash. Some owners knew their animals habits and attempted to not have their animal be a nuisance, 50/50 successful.
The owners of most concern were those that felt as if the trail is an off-leash dog area and showed NO concern for the people their animal comes in contact with.
these are my observations and are in no way scientific or fact, this I know.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Jan 2016 19:17 #225845 by Jim Oker
Who cares about the cost of their tools, but yeah that sounds like a typical spread of human behavior. Years ago I took my dogs up that way and kept them on leash and to my right on the edge of the trail while climbing, as much for their own protection as for the sake of courtesy. Those clueless owners aren't taking good care of their loyal companions, which is the truly big bummer to me, though I also understand why out is annoying to you, and even dangerous to those who tuck and go 40 along there. Last time I skied out that route, a few weekends ago, the snowshoers and booters were the real obstacles to avoid.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
21 Jan 2016 05:01 #225848 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
I'm sorry to hear you never found rainy pete. I still remember her handing Kololo her first butt whoopin on the summit of rock mountain. Don't mess with another dogs smoked salmon!

I like touring with my dog, but go through great lengths to make sure she is not a problem. Never has been, and she rarely gets leashed. I've gotten nothing more then hellos from Stevens pass patrol by choosing the appropriate days, time, and routes. (Is, early/ late season, partial openings, etc.). I don't think I would consider taking an unleashed dog head on vrs unknown ski traffic, like in the source lake trail. For the safety of all.

Similar might be Heather ridge, as far as the scene goes... Minus the resort traffic. I guess it's how you view it all. I see happy people doing their things in snow, having fun. I smile, wave, say hello, to pretty everyone, snow shoes, machines, k9', regardless. I don't want to judge, and harsh someone elses good time. Even though I may quietly complain of a ruined skintrack.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
21 Jan 2016 05:14 #225849 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=28866.0

I could have posted a rant about how this aggressive brown dog came charging out of the woods, barking at me. I was solo, and my first primal response was "bear!"... But no, I I took knee, produced some treats. Had nothing but smiles and hellos , and highfives for the k9's companions. Thanked the youngest of the group for the boot pack..

See above post, couple pics down. Most handsome fellow in photo was on top, drinking whiskey with me. ;)

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Jan 2016 06:50 #225851 by flowing alpy
She does look like a lil teddy:-)
Thanks for not taking her out on the narrow trail back to windy pass.
That was a great spring for skiing!

More
21 Jan 2016 08:10 #225852 by Pete_H
Thanks Scott! Yeah that cat track up Heatherr Ridge / Skyline is a good comparison. Never know what you're going to run into on the way down: dogs, snowshoers, boy scout troops, ten piece marching band, ...

More
22 Jan 2016 11:00 #225861 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
The General Public does not read posts on this site. So I think everyone can expect that 80% of the actions noted above will continue.

If I travel up the Source lake trail with my dog, I only will leave by 8 Am to assure that I will be avoiding downhill traffic and take lower skin tracks. Of course, poop is done and bagged within 5 minutes of us arriving. I know my dog.

All good dog owners know their dogs. She will only follow me in the skin track. She does not approach other people or other dogs for that matter. She is trained that way. She is 100% voice control to sit, stop and has never once acted aggressively to any person or animal (living with 3 cats helps).

I have been blessed with 2 dogs like this in my life.

More
25 Jan 2016 19:29 #225900 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Hmmm whats this? Edit to say I'm a dog lover till they chase me.
Attachments:

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
26 Jan 2016 07:33 #225905 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Hmmm whats this? Edit to say I'm a dog lover till they chase me.

^^^
Hahaha - Awesome post!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Apr 2016 10:29 #226913 by flowing alpy

Oh the horror.

the shit coming to the surface during the thaw sure is.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Apr 2016 08:54 #226919 by Jim Oker
For perspective on horror, go check out the meltout on the road in from the sno-park at Gold Creek sometime =8-O

And very few of those folks have $800 footwear. Go figure...

Same as it ever was - somehow it's just too much trouble for some to do the poop-put when fido does his business right after getting out of the car.