• Paipo
  • [Paipo]
More
10 May 2011 12:51 #200051 by Paipo
Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11 was created by Paipo
Just posted on the TNT website:

blog.thenewstribune.com/adventure/2011/0...way-on-mount-rainer/

Hoping for the best...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2011 13:01 #200052 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Thanks, Paipo,
Fingers Crossed...

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 May 2011 13:02 #200053 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Man, fingers are crossed that everyone gets out okay.

More
10 May 2011 13:18 #200054 by bobS
Replied by bobS on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
According to King 5… “Any injuries the skier sustained are not known, but mountain officials said rescuers on scene are optimistic because they can hear the skier inside the crevasse.”

www.king5.com/news/Rescue-on-Mt-Rainier-...vasse-121585619.html

• teledavid
  • [teledavid]
More
10 May 2011 14:04 #200055 by teledavid
Replied by teledavid on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Anyone know who it is?

• rnbfish
  • [rnbfish]
More
10 May 2011 14:06 #200056 by rnbfish
Replied by rnbfish on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
news is saying " body recovery"

More
10 May 2011 14:14 #200057 by Mofro
Replied by Mofro on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
very sad and unfortunate news.

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
10 May 2011 14:30 #200058 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
sad news

• scotteryx
  • [scotteryx]
More
10 May 2011 14:45 #200059 by scotteryx
Replied by scotteryx on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Sad news. RIP. My condolences to the family.
Whomever it was, I hope they had a good day skiing doing what they love so much.

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
10 May 2011 15:06 #200060 by trees4me
Replied by trees4me on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
really sad.

Seattle Times has a few more details.  sounds like a fall of 100-150-ft. 

More
10 May 2011 15:55 #200061 by skip
Replied by skip on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
How awful. I'm sorry for friends and family.

• CookieMonster
  • [CookieMonster]
More
10 May 2011 20:21 #200066 by CookieMonster
Replied by CookieMonster on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Terrible!

www.king5.com/news/slideshows/Rescue-on-...vasse-121585619.html

Crevasses are scarier than avalanches. :(

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 May 2011 22:07 - 10 May 2011 22:54 #200070 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
www.king5.com/news/slideshows/Rescue-on-...vasse-121585619.html

This King5 report identifies the skier as Tucker Taffe, 33, of Utah. He is described as experienced. A comment by "joncollet" said:

Tucker was an amazing man and a more experienced backcountry skier than anyone I know. A couple years back he raced in the Wasatch Powderkeg, a randonee race through Little and Big Cottonwood canyons. He was so far in the lead in his division that he got off course for about 10 minutes, back tracked, and still won the race. Needless to say, it was a privilege to be able to say you even stayed close to Tucker, whether on skin track, single track or boot pack. Friends of his affectionately called him "The King of the Wasatch," as he was constantly and quietly skiing the mountains he loved and lived in. Few have lived as passionately as Tucker Taffe. I'll always remember wine tasting with you in Oregon, your reluctant little house parties, and that beautiful forehand on the disc golf course (who's going to put GD in his place now?) We'll miss you dearly good friend. LONG LIVE THE KING!

My condolences to Tucker's family and friends.

This is, to my knowledge, the first confirmed fatality of a skier due to a crevasse fall in the history of the Washington Cascades. This topic has come up before on TAY, and I can't recall any other confirmed fatalities of this type. In April 2008, Kevin LeFleur disappeared during a ski ascent of Mt Baker. Since his body was never found, friends believe that he may have fallen into a crevasse. I looked at the risks of glacier skiing in my NSAS presentation in the fall of 2008. You can find it here:

alpenglow.org/skiing/high-route-tips/part6-glaciers.html

The spring of 2008 was unusually cold and snowy, but not as cold and snowy as this spring. I suspect that these conditions may lead to more crevasse incidents, because recent fresh snow masks the existence or size of crevasses. There were several incidents in 2008, described at the link above. I wonder if we've been spared more incidents this year just because the weather has been so foul that relatively few trips have been done.

Keep your guard up out there and go prepared.

• CookieMonster
  • [CookieMonster]
More
10 May 2011 23:23 #200071 by CookieMonster
Replied by CookieMonster on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Thanks for the cool data Lowell.

Embarassed to admit this, but I was, at times, extremely reckless throughout winter-spring 2007-2008. Don't want to get into the why, but anyway, until Kevin LaFleur disappeared, I had been tossing about the idea of soloing Baker via Coleman-Deming. Just because it seemed "parky"... as in "walk in the parky". For all I know, his disappearance saved my life, because I realise how easily it could have been me.

This isn't a reflection on what Tucker did or didn't do, because I wasn't there, and no matter how sharp I can be at times, I do understand the pain of loss. For some reason, crevasse fall accidents always make me feel very ashamed of my past behaviour; especially when I should know better.

Hope Tucker's family finds peace some day.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
11 May 2011 04:34 #200074 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11

This is, to my knowledge, the first confirmed fatality of a skier due to a crevasse fall in the history of the Washington Cascades. This topic has come up before on TAY, and I can't recall any other confirmed fatalities of this type.

Just to clarify, you must mean not merely a fall that ends up carrying the victim into a crevasse, but where the initial cause of the fall is the crevasse?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 May 2011 07:46 #200078 by Lowell_Skoog

Just to clarify, you must mean not merely a fall that ends up carrying the victim into a crevasse, but where the initial cause of the fall is the crevasse?

Yeah, I'll leave it at that. Do you know of fatal incidents in which a skier fell and then slid into a crevasse? I'm not aware of any. Obviously my original statement is a huge strawman. But I've read a vast amount of history about Washington skiing and haven't encountered any references to crevasse fatalities involving skiers.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
11 May 2011 08:01 #200079 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Fatalities, no, I'm not aware of any off the top of my head. (Two years ago a ranger skied straight into a crevasse just above Emmons Flats -- a mere day after we had been there and two days before we were returning there, gulp -- but I recall the rescue was immediate -- as would be expected given the location! -- and sounded like injuries for which a full recovery was expected.)

Seems like Lee Adams last year was descending on foot, on a rope team, not skiing.

Does Rainier track summit permits by skiers vs non-skiers? (I recall such info is requested on the permit, but somehow I doubt it's tallied up.) If so, would be interested to try to keep track of crevasse falls for skiers vs non-skiers, but then again the skiers probably seek out smoother less technical terrain, so that probably wouldn't work, unless it was limited to the Emmons during prime ski season.

Regardless, my condolences to the family. This one hits really hard for those of us who tour during the winter and early spring in entirely non-glaciated terrain, then come out to the PNW for late spring and summer.
Also, although I've skied many different parts of Rainier below ~10k, above that I've been on only the relatively tame Emmons, but my understanding is that the upper Nisqually can be pretty nasty? Is the deep snowpack making it more appealing to skiers now, but with monster crevasses lurking beneath snowbridges that are not as safe as they seem?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 May 2011 08:50 #200081 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11

Seems like Lee Adams last year was descending on foot, on a rope team, not skiing.

Lee was cramponing on the descent in the uphill position on a three person rope team. The two other team members were much less experienced than Lee. The first person slipped wasn't able to self-arrest before falling into an open crevasse, pulling the other rope team member and Lee into the crevasse as well. The crevasse was deep and the weight of two companions pulled Lee into the crevasse at high speed -- impacting the far wall with fatal results.

Both deaths are sad losses -- travelling on glaciers always involves risk than can't be completely eliminated, on skis, on foot, roped or unroped.

I wonder how the "death/injury by crevasse fall" statistics stack up compared to "death/injury by auto accident driving to/from the mountains"

More
11 May 2011 09:21 #200082 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
not to nit-pick, but regarding the details of Lee's accident. I believe Lee was the furthest downhill on the rope team during their descent... there were four total on the rope. They were crossing a sketchy snowbridge and the last climber (furthest uphill) slipped after jumping the snowbridge. The three other climbers on Lee's rope were unable to arrest and sling-shotted past Lee. Lee slowed the rope team's fall into the crevasse but when he went in, there was no one above him.

My condolences to Tucker's friends and family...looks like yesterday had some nice weather on the mountain and that coulda been any of us up there. I hope there aren't any more accidents this year...this season has already had far too many tragedies.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 May 2011 09:52 #200083 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Here is the Seattle Times obit up about Lee's unfortunate death -- I was incorrect about the number of climbers on the rope team.

www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/o...-adams&pid=144377855

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
11 May 2011 10:04 #200085 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Does anybody know any more details about the descent being attempted? Looking at the king5 video, it looked like the rescue took place just above the Nisqually Ice Cliff. If that was the objective, wow. Can you extreme skiers out there comment on what descents are possible from there?

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
11 May 2011 11:22 #200086 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Does anyone have any more info on who was in the group that had the accident? I have a friend in from out of town who was supposed to be on that part of the mountain w/in this timeframe and I've been having trouble reaching him. Does anyone know if the group is now off the mountain?

More
11 May 2011 11:34 #200087 by fresh
Replied by fresh on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
I could be wrong but from the King5 video it looks like the accident was skier's right of the Nisqually Cleaver. From that location it should be possible to reach the Fuhrer Finger, not sure what other (more extreme) fall-line options are in this year. I think Seth's recent descent of the icecliff would have been skier's _left_ of the cleaver, correct?

Regardless, condolences to the victim and his group. This is the low-chance, extreme consequence accident that any glacier skier worries about and hopes never happens.

• rnbfish
  • [rnbfish]
More
12 May 2011 08:35 #200110 by rnbfish
Replied by rnbfish on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
at the risk of sounding too pragmatic.. i am wondering:

1) did the remaining skiers start setting up a rope pully system?
2) or did the skier that fell have the rope
3) or did they not have a rope

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 May 2011 10:16 #200111 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Terrible news, condolences to Tucker's family and friends. Having skied the upper Nisqually numerous times (5 times since 2007, including a January and two May descents), this really hits home, since it could have easily been me taking that same fall.

I was skinning up the Muir Snowfield on May 10, and around 1pm the KING-5 helicopter began circling overhead and above the south side of the upper mountain. Feared the worst after the helicopter lingered and kept circling (not just a quick scenic flyby), which was confirmed when two climbing rangers passed me at 9800 ft at 1:45pm, skinning uphill at max speed. A brief chat as I struggled to keep pace with them confirmed that a body recovery mission was underway, with the park's helicopter being fueled at the Kautz helibase and then heading up to pick up the rangers at Muir.

It turns out that the party was skinning up, not skiing down. Much more new info in this article:
www.thenewstribune.com/2011/05/11/166178...n-mount-rainier.html

Rangers unsure how skier fell into crevasse on way up Rainier

CRAIG HILL; STAFF WRITER
Published: 05/12/11 3:44 am | Updated: 05/12/11 4:46 am

A day after Tucker Taffe fell into a crevasse high on Mount Rainier, climbing rangers still were trying to piece together precisely how the deadly accident unfolded.

Park climbing ranger Glenn Kessler, one of the directors of the recovery, said the 33-year-old Utah man was ascending the mountain on skis about 8:25 a.m. when a member of his party noticed he’d vanished.

“By his own admission, the person behind him didn’t quite understand what had happened,” Kessler said.

Not until they came across the crevasse and one of Taffe’s skis did they realize the gravity of the situation. Taffe fell an estimated 100-150 feet into the crevasse.

Initially, rangers and other rescuers assumed Taffe and his three partners had summited the 14,411 foot mountain and were making their descent on skis. However, the group was attempting to ascend on skis.

Does anybody know any more details about the descent being attempted? Looking at the king5 video, it looked like the rescue took place just above the Nisqually Ice Cliff. If that was the objective, wow. Can you extreme skiers out there comment on what descents are possible from there?

I could be wrong but from the King5 video it looks like the accident was skier's right of the Nisqually Cleaver. From that location it should be possible to reach the Fuhrer Finger, not sure what other (more extreme) fall-line options are in this year. I think Seth's recent descent of the icecliff would have been skier's _left_ of the cleaver, correct?

The accident site was just west of Nisqually Cleaver, see the images below. Hearsay at Camp Muir on May 10 was that the party had climbed Fuhrer Finger and that was presumably their intended ski descent too, but I have no idea if that info is correct.

However, it looks like a non-standard place for them to have been skinning up, right beside a bunch of exposed seracs and partially open crevasses. It's more dangerous in that area (as confirmed by the accident), while the safer standard route is down the obvious central fall line of the upper Nisqually Glacier, a few hundred feet farther west. That is the most snow-filled and least crevassed portion of the upper Nisqually, and the line that almost all parties ascend and ski as far as I know. The standard line is not very far west of where the accident occurred, but a hundred feet left or right can be an entirely different route in some places on a glacier, with an entirely different degree of crevasse hazard. But it's also appealing to ski and photograph near exposed seracs and open crevasses, so it's easy to understand why they might have taken the line they did.

Here are a few screen captures from the KING-5 video (posted under the doctrine of fair use ) which clarify the exact location of the accident:

View looking east at the crevasse and rescue site:

Closeup of the crevasse and rescue site:

Also, although I've skied many different parts of Rainier below ~10k, above that I've been on only the relatively tame Emmons, but my understanding is that the upper Nisqually can be pretty nasty? Is the deep snowpack making it more appealing to skiers now, but with monster crevasses lurking beneath snowbridges that are not as safe as they seem?

I don't think that the upper Nisqually Glacier per se has any great appeal to skiers, but it is the standard exit from / entrance to the Fuhrer Finger and Thumb routes. Both have grown increasingly popular as ski routes over the past several years, maybe much too popular in my opinion, given the serious hazards associated with the routes (mainly rockfall), far beyond the hazards of the Emmons. But both are great ski routes, direct and steep, so the appeal is obvious. The upper Nisqually is also the continuation above the Nisqually Icefall, but that route is rarely in condition for skiing in spring and so it is very rarely skied (e.g. it looked good a few weeks ago, but already has broken up considerably as of May 10).

The upper Nisqually is not particularly nasty in proper season most years, since the crevasses are generally well-filled on the smooth middle portion of the glacier from 14000 ft down to 12500 ft. The only serious crevasse issues on-route occur from about 12000-12500 ft. When those crevasses become impassible (or nearly so), the upper continuation of the Fuhrer routes goes up the very steep (50-55 degree) flank of Wapowety Cleaver above 12000 ft instead of onto the upper Nisqually.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 May 2011 10:29 - 12 May 2011 12:33 #200113 by Lowell_Skoog

However, it looks like a non-standard place for them to have been skinning up, right beside a bunch of exposed seracs and partially open crevasses. It's more dangerous in that area (as confirmed by the accident), while the safer standard route is down the obvious central fall line of the upper Nisqually Glacier, a few hundred feet farther west. That is the most snow-filled and least crevassed portion of the upper Nisqually, and the line that almost all parties ascend and ski as far as I know. The standard line is not very far west of where the accident occurred, but a hundred feet left or right can be an entirely different route in some places on a glacier, with an entirely different degree of crevasse hazard. But it's also appealing to ski and photograph near exposed seracs and open crevasses, so it's easy to understand why they might have taken the line they did.

Thanks Amar. From the pictures, it looks like the accident occurred in a "lateral shear" zone of the glacier. (I'm making up the term--I don't know what a glaciologist would call it.) It's an area where the glacier is being ripped open due to the motion of the ice (looker's left) with respect to the cleaver (looker's right). That seems like an area where crevasses might be continually opening and re-bridging (thinly) during a snowy spring like we've been having.

More
12 May 2011 11:02 #200114 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
glad that a few more details are coming out... does seem like an atypical place to be on the upper mtn... i suppose if one was ascending via a standard camp muir route like the Ingraham or Gib Ledges and you wanted to get a look at the FF approach/upper Nisq. before skiing it, you'd traverse the upper mtn the get over there.

• skiWednesdays
  • [skiWednesdays]
More
13 May 2011 18:39 #200145 by skiWednesdays
Replied by skiWednesdays on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11

I wonder how the "death/injury by crevasse fall" statistics stack up compared to "death/injury by auto accident driving to/from the mountains"

How likely is one to die climbing Mt. Rainier? (I don't have any data for just crevasse fall)  This of course depends on your route, skill and judgement.  The more of the later might not offset choosing a harder route. (One time I looked at this deaths on the Liberty Ridge Route were about 10x the total rate.

Looking at some deaths vs attempts one  gets a very crude rate of .018%.

For autos I found goggling the rate is 1.45 per 100 million miles.

I drive about 12,000 miles a year, so that would be .0174% for the whole year.

From Portland it is about 400 miles (might be 500 but I am too lazy to look it up, in any event it will vary for each of us)  round-trip or a rate of .0006%

So obviously both rates are very small, the climbing rate is about 30 times higher (30 *.0006% = .018%), higher if you live closer.  So it more like driving to the mountain 30 times, not so bad I guess. But if you do a whole allot of this for a very long time it adds (well multiplies up):

The chance you are still alive after one climb is 1-.018% = 99.982%.

Lets say you are guide climbing every week then the chance that you are alive at the end of year is 99.982%^52 or about 99%.
If you do this for 30 years you have about a 75% chance of not dying from climbing (I have ignored that you might have died in the mean time by some other cause.).

My chances of not dying from driving during a 30 year period is  (1-.0174%) ^30 or about 99.5%

Hopefully I haven't made some math error.

• caverpilot
  • [caverpilot]
More
14 May 2011 15:38 #200151 by caverpilot
Replied by caverpilot on topic Re: Mount Rainier Rescue..>5-10-11
Odds of dying, lifetime: 1 in 1
Heart Disease: 1 in 5
Cancer: 1 in 7
Stroke: 1 in 24
Car Accident 1 in 84-100

I've always told my worrysome friends that my odds of dying in the mountains would always be less than dying on the drive to the mountain. There's 40,000 auto-related deaths annually, and a few mountaineering fatalities. It all depends on how much you drive, versus how much you climb, and probably where you climb (crevasse/serac-laden peaks versus not). Great food for thought, though!

This is fairly interesting: Actuarial Life Tables
Of course, we have to adjust that table for technology- the longer we live, the greater our life expectancy. Weird. (When I was born the life expectancy for males was lower than it is now)