Home > Forum > Categories > Yardsale > Suggestions for the right skis for me?

Suggestions for the right skis for me?

• roald2
  • [roald2]
More
03 Nov 2021 13:37 #235283 by roald2
After a few years' hiatus from the backcountry, I am eager to get back at it this year, starting with some new gear.  Does anyone have suggestions for the right type of ski for me?

I have been skiing on Black Diamond Ethics that I bought maybe 15-20 years ago, first with tele bindings but more recently with AT bindings.  These skis have taken me on the Ptarmigan Traverse, Inspiration Traverse, and other places.  The problem is that I am a mediocre skier and would like new skis that better accommodate my modest skills and let me stress less about crashing in the wrong places.  Control and having fun are more important than speed. 

I'll probably keep my AT bindings, although going back to telemark bindings is not out of the question.  What makes and model of ski would you recommend?  Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2021 09:02 #235285 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Suggestions for the right skis for me?
You probably know this already, but the difference now over 15-20 years ago is the bewildering number of options in backcountry gear. And most of the gear is very good. Do you have an idea of the length and width of ski you want? What AT bindings do you have? Are you more interested in downhill performance or uphill efficiency?  Will you use the equipment to ski in-bounds as well as in the backcountry? What is your budget? Details like this will help narrow the discussion to what others on the forum know works for them in similar conditions. 

• Skiracer538
  • [Skiracer538]
More
04 Nov 2021 17:10 #235286 by Skiracer538
Replied by Skiracer538 on topic Suggestions for the right skis for me?
If you can, highly recommend going talk to the guys at Pro Guide Service in North Bend.  Volken has literally wrote the book on touring in Washington.  His shop caters to touring and can help you find the right ski for your goals.  It's a great place to get educated with a wide variety of skis to fondle, then you can apply that knowledge to the used market.  Otherwise whatever ski I'm selling next is going to 100% always be the most perfect ski (only because I want to get rid of it...).

More
04 Nov 2021 19:56 #235287 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Suggestions for the right skis for me?
I would second Pro Ski in North Bend suggestion. Good shop. But also a few others: Arlberg in Wenatchee, Backcountry Essentials in Bellingham, Goat's Beard in Mazama and I heard Cripple Creek opened a new store in Seattle. These are backcountry focused shops. 

Also, go to Blister Review (blisterreview.com). They just came out with their new Winter Buyer's Guide, which has descriptions and reviews of hundreds of skis, boots, and bindings. A $60 membership is well worth the price if you are planning on spending $1,000 to $1,500 on gear.

• captimmy
  • [timothyfoster15]
More
05 Nov 2021 13:45 #235289 by captimmy
Replied by captimmy on topic Suggestions for the right skis for me?
Please don't go to cripple creek... Keep it local!

• roald2
  • [roald2]
More
05 Nov 2021 14:43 #235290 by roald2
Replied by roald2 on topic Suggestions for the right skis for me?
Thanks, everyone!  I'll try the shops you mention.  And, of course, whatever skis Skiracer538 is selling.

A ski length of 183-186 cm is probably about right, and I don't know about width.  That is part of my question.  I will ski at lift areas a few times a year, but my goal is to get back into the backcountry and some peaks.  I'll probably go for lighter weight, but want something to stay on my feet coming down through spring crud as well as corn.