Home > Forum > Categories > Yardsale > For sale: 2 nights at Oregon fire lookout, Jan. 2022

For sale: 2 nights at Oregon fire lookout, Jan. 2022

• gep20021
  • [gep20021]
More
24 Oct 2021 12:27 #235264 by gep20021
Hello:
Offering 2 days for $80 total at the Hager Mountain fire lookout, which is near Silver Lake, Oregon, about 90 minutes south of Bend. This is the fire lookout: www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234187
Ski or snowshoe 4 miles/2100 feet of elevation gain along the National Recreation Trail to get to Hager Mt. Lookout. In the winter, please check with the Silver Lake Ranger District for snow conditions to determine the best method of access prior to departure.  This rugged, winter destination awaits the most enthusiastic outdoor adventurers as it is only accessible by foot, snowshoes or skis. Skiing or snowshoeing can take from a couple of hours to half a day or more, depending on weather conditions and one’s physical endurance. Travel into remote locations in the winter requires experience and advance preparation. Expect windy conditions.

You're responsible for supplying your own food, sleeping bag and some other supplies/gear, cleaning up the fire lookout, etc.
Please let me know if you're interested -reply here or email me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or text\call me (Gabrielle) at 206-965-5863.

The 2 nights would be:
  • Wednesday, January 5, 2022 - "check in" at 2:00pm, stay that night
  • Thursday, January 6, 2022 - stay that night and "check out" on Friday morning, January 7, 2022 by 12pm (noon).
We made a reservation that includes these days but we can only be there starting on Friday, Jan. 7, 2022. Read my blog post at Skiing in Oregon's Outback: Hager Mountain Fire Lookout | Lo bel pianeta (windhorse100.blogspot.com) for details about our visit there in March 2021. It should be MUCH snowier in January!
What's in the fire lookout:
  • 3 bunks
  • Propane stove with working oven
  • wood-burning stove for heat with a large pot for melting snow - firewood is in a nearby shed for your use
  • center table for the Osborne fire finder (the device itself is gone)
  • Cabinets containing tools, supplies, some kitchenware and utensils, matches, cleaning supplies like bleach wipes, candles
  • 2 propane-powered lights attached to the walls
  • 2 battery-powered lanterns
  • 2 "stools" made out of tree stumps
  • shelf of books and games
  • artwork and notes from previous guests
  • clothesline with clothes pins
  • Pretty good cell phone service with Verizon- we were able to call, Facetime, and surf the internet, even streamed Sirius XM to a portable speaker
  • there was a small amount of toilet paper when we visited but it seemed to have been left by previous guests rather than supplied by the US Forest Service
  • woodshed has tools for splitting wood into kindling - their edges were pitted and dull though when we visited. Very well-stocked with split firewood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.