• Shred
  • [Shred]
More
09 May 2021 12:18 #235104 by Shred
Tech toe crampons was created by Shred
Used once
$85
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 19:54 #235107 by river59
Replied by river59 on topic Tech toe crampons
I am not your huckleberry, but I am curious why you are moving on from these? The idea of these half 'pons has always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who has owned or used them. 

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 May 2021 19:22 - 11 May 2021 19:25 #235108 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Tech toe crampons

I am not your huckleberry, but I am curious why you are moving on from these? The idea of these half 'pons has always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who has owned or used them.

These toe crampons are a very clever product. I haven't used them, but I expect they do what they're designed to do quite well. What they're designed to do is very specific: Front point up. Maybe front point down. That's it.

If a user fully understands this and is disciplined enough to only do this, they could be a great tool. But the moment you "forget" and try to flat-foot or switchback with these crampons, you may be in for a sudden, fast ride.

It's a very technical product for a very technical user.

Last edit: 11 May 2021 19:25 by Lowell_Skoog.

More
12 May 2021 16:09 #235109 by river59
Replied by river59 on topic Tech toe crampons
I am with you Lowell. They are a very specialized tool. That is the #1 reason I never gave them a shot. Also, the method of attachment has always seemed a touch suspect.

I am curious about OP's and other users' experiences with them. If they work reliably  they could be perfect for early morning spring volcano climbing when you are sure the afternoon sun will work its magic.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 May 2021 16:21 - 12 May 2021 18:45 #235110 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Tech toe crampons

If they work reliably  they could be perfect for early morning spring volcano climbing when you are sure the afternoon sun will work its magic.

Maybe I'm just an old climber, but I almost always switchback when climbing on foot, same as you would switchback on skis. It's less fatiguing, if only because you can stand on your whole foot during each step (but it's more than that).

If I'm climbing a steep couloir, I might kick steps straight up, but otherwise I nearly always switchback. Toe crampons wouldn't be a good tool for me.
Last edit: 12 May 2021 18:45 by Lowell_Skoog.