Home > Forum > Categories > Yardsale > K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.

K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.

• evan
  • [evan]
More
19 Feb 2021 23:02 #234729 by evan
K2 powder baker skis? Ideas. was created by evan
So I have a small problem - too many choices but not enough cross compatibility.  I ride all backcountry gear - k2 Shuksan for my all mountains, Dynafit Manalsu for my spring slush and k2 world piste for my telemarking.

problem = because of the bindings and boots none of these skis and boots are cross compatible.

want = I want to use my Dynafit all Mtn boots for both an all Mtn ski Dynafit setup (done) AND a powder specific ski setup.  I'd normally would say my Manaslus would work great in powder but the binding setup is such that it's too small and cannot be adjusted - plus they work for my spring boots (smaller than my AllMtn).

does anyone have recommendation for a K2 or other brand powder specific touring ski?  The K2 Baker used to be a wise choice few years ago but is there a better one nowadays?  Anyone selling a setup?  I like the idea of separate bindings too already mounted and ready to go depending on conditions.

cheers. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• filbo
  • [philgallagher46]
More
20 Feb 2021 08:21 #234731 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.
Going back in time to the K2 Mt. Baker which was made from the exact mold they used for the K2 AK Launcher at approx. 120-90-118 or so.   But definitely 120 ish in the tip and 90 underfoot.   I moved up from both of those skis which I skied for several years and moved up to the beloved Volkl Explosive which was a touch wider in the tip and 95 underfoot.   These days my skis are all around 130ish in the tip and 105 or 106 in the waist.   I still have my old Explosives mounted three times and now just memorabila kind of thing but if you thought you might use them and put a pair of bindings on them they are 180 in length and still have their great camber after all these years in the basement.   Yours if you want them.

More
20 Feb 2021 18:57 #234735 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.
I've been skiing the K2 Wayback 106 for several seasons and like them. The ski is very light, about 1,480 grams, and I mounted them with G3 Zeds to keep them that way. They are easy to ski, as in forgiving and predictable, not really a hard charger. Lots of rocker - I would call them surfy. Keep in mind they are light and have tendency to get bounced around in the chop, which is what you'd expect with a 1,400 gram ski. 

Louie Dawson did a review of them awhile back on Wildsnow.  K2 Wayback 106, 2018-2019, Review - The Backcountry Ski Touring Blog (wildsnow.com)

Good luck. 

More
21 Feb 2021 18:55 #234738 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.
+1 on the wayback 106.  It's a super versatile ski for what you're describing.  Predictable, large sweet spot but as mentioned not a hard charging gs or super g turn type ski.

I've owned the shucksan in 181 and the manaslu in 178 and 169.  My wayback 106 in 179cm skis short - more like the manaslu 169cm - I believe due to all the rocker mentioned above but the rocker and extra width in the tip and waist really help it shine in deeper or variable condition when compared to the manaslus (a ski I liked a lot).

• evan
  • [evan]
More
03 May 2021 23:20 #235091 by evan
Replied by evan on topic K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.
So I’ve heard good things about the Armada Tracer 118 mounted with pair of Dynafit Radical ST 2.0.  Versatile and all terrain and extra wide.  Thoughts on this compared to narrower Waybacks?  Consensus sofar seems like Manaslu’s are close match to the Wayback and if so doesn’t complement the set of existing skis for what I’m looking in various seasons and terrain.

More
06 May 2021 17:58 #235096 by Carbonj
Replied by Carbonj on topic K2 powder baker skis? Ideas.
Which dynafit boot are you using? Tlt5 tlt6.