Home > Forum > Categories > Weak Layers > White Salmon Glacier - big slide

White Salmon Glacier - big slide

• hop
  • [hop]
More
29 Apr 2014 22:31 - 29 Apr 2014 22:35 #132630 by hop
I'm not sure if this should go here or in Trip Reports because the closest I got to this slide was the parking lot, but between 1700 and 1800 today there was a big slab avalanche on the White Salmon glacier of Mt. Shuksan.  There was a skintrack and what looked to be descent tracks up there today that I didn't notice yesterday. 

The slide I saw was about halfway up the glacier on the skier's right side, below one of the only exposed rocky points.  Looked like it may have been triggered by wet slides coming from the rocks at the top of the glacier and was easily in the "few to 10' deep" range.  Went from close to the rock wall on skier's right to about halfway across the glacier (again, depth and size estimated from the parking lot). 

I wouldn't be caught dead up there right now, and hopefully the people up there weren't either.  Their skin and possible descent track was quite a bit farther skier's left so hopefully they weren't involved.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 22:35 by hop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
30 Apr 2014 19:00 #132659 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: White Salmon Glacier - big slide
The NWAC has a special bulletin: Avalanche Danger High: Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended.
www.nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/current/c...-stevens-pass-north/

I hope nobody was caught! It might be worth to post your observation here: www.nwac.us/observations/

More
30 Apr 2014 22:25 #132671 by steddy
Replied by steddy on topic Re: White Salmon Glacier - big slide
I'm friends with one of them who had been up there and they were not involved but did witness it from afar... i.e. the parking lot possibly.

• hop
  • [hop]
More
01 May 2014 11:30 #132683 by hop
Replied by hop on topic Re: White Salmon Glacier - big slide
yeah, turns out I know them too. 

Old skiers and bold skiers but no old bold skiers.  Hopefully these guys grow old. 

Trying to "beat the heat" on something like the WS seems incredibly risky to me but then again, I'm not that rad.

More
01 May 2014 13:06 #132686 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: White Salmon Glacier - big slide
You're not that old either...

I promise you, the WSG can be a fun day, really. :D

• hop
  • [hop]
More
02 May 2014 12:11 - 02 May 2014 12:15 #132711 by hop
Replied by hop on topic Re: White Salmon Glacier - big slide

I promise you, the WSG can be a fun day, really. :D

I'm sure it can be fun day given the right conditions but a day where there was just a bunch of new snow that has baked for a couple of days in record high temps with avalanche warnings from every weather service doesn't seem ideal to me. 

They did get some nice pics and they all made it back so I guess it was worth it for them. 

Last edit: 02 May 2014 12:15 by hop.