Home > Forum > Categories > Weak Layers > Large slide in Kendall ridge's south chute

Large slide in Kendall ridge's south chute

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Mar 2012 10:15 #101566 by Marcus
Thought I'd put this in here as well, for future reference. Relevant info from this TR:

Kendall Ridge 3/4

We looked down into Gold Creek from the ridge and noticed that there was a huge pile of avy debris at the bottom of the chute, so we were hoping to get a look at the crown. I'd been thinking on the way up that it might be either primed to go, or dumped already. When we got over to the upper slopes it was clear that the entire chute had ripped out, big. There's still some hangfire on the skier's left side and just below the ridge, but the concave bowl that makes up most of the upper right had released a slab that was easily 6+ feet at the crown. It's got be 2500 feet from there to the valley floor.

We guessed it was probably the same weak layer that caused the Tunnel Creek and Alpental accidents, given the size of the crown. There was some evidence that it was triggered by a surface slide that may have stepped down, but we weren't willing to go out far enough to see for sure with all that snow still hanging out up there. Very impressive and well worth the trip up just for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
06 Mar 2012 20:51 #101624 by cumulus
I just came across some pictures of that slide Marcus describes taken from across the way at Hyak on the SnowTrooper website - gives a good big picture view of the slide(s).

There's also a post (March 6) on large cornices and cornice collapses on Granite Mt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.