Home > Forum > Categories > Trip Research > Sleeping in car/van at Paradise

Sleeping in car/van at Paradise

• JimD
  • [Jim Dockery]
More
20 Jan 2022 06:38 #235619 by JimD
Sleeping in car/van at Paradise was created by JimD
Has anyone tried sleeping in their vehicle at Paradise recently in the winter when they lock the gate? I assume they allow vehicles to park there to accommodate climbers and others who are camping on the mountain. Do you have to have a permit in the window of your vehicle to park like that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
20 Jan 2022 21:39 - 20 Jan 2022 21:40 #235624 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Sleeping in car/van at Paradise
You aren't allowed to camp in your car, and I think they check. You can, however, get a permit to camp in the woods next to the Paradise Inn (right next to the lot). I wonder if you had that permit you could van camp more easily. In Spring I've heard of people getting away with car camping.

There are some spots just outside the park for free van camping if you look around.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 21:40 by kamtron.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Jan 2022 07:06 - 21 Jan 2022 07:07 #235625 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Sleeping in car/van at Paradise
"Camp in designated campsites only. Sleeping in vehicles outside of campgrounds is not permitted:."

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

"In selecting your [backcountry] campsite, choose a location that is a minimum of 300 feet from plowed roads and parking areas (to avoid being buried by snowplows), marked routes, trails, and buildings and at least 100 feet from water.  Permits are required for all overnight camping. Register for a wilderness permit.:"

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/winter-camping.htm

Scroll down to see the map for the winter overnight parking area.  It's the 'lower' parking lot where the old Visitor Center was located.  That's several hundred yards from the upper lot 24-hour winter restroom, but adjacent to the ranger dorm. 

Historically winter vehicle camping has not been allowed at Paradise.  I suspect they worry that an RV slum would develop over time, or that outbound vehicles could interfere with plowing.  It would also imply an obligation to plow and open that management seems increasingly unwilling to meet, since they now seem to close the day before a winter storm warning..
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 07:07 by Gary Vogt.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Feb 2022 05:49 #235670 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Sleeping in car/van at Paradise
Now I'm getting curious; has anyone ever been denied a winter backcountry camping permit or climbing permit because of a stormy weather forecast??