Home > Forum > Categories > Trip Research > Southwest Cascade Routes - Beginner/Intermediate

Southwest Cascade Routes - Beginner/Intermediate

• Hoody Hoo!
  • [Brandon Davis]
More
23 Nov 2020 12:27 #234132 by Hoody Hoo!
Hey group!

I recently moved out to White Salmon, WA, and was wondering if anyone knew of any short(er) tours in the south cascades. Doesn't have to be epic, just looking for areas to practice. It can be a hill with great spaced trees for a good time. I know of some routes around Hood but looking for others on my side of the river. All advice is owed a beer.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• filbo
  • [philgallagher46]
More
24 Nov 2020 17:43 #234140 by filbo
You need to come to White Pass.

• Hoody Hoo!
  • [Brandon Davis]
More
24 Nov 2020 18:39 #234141 by Hoody Hoo!
Replied by Hoody Hoo! on topic Southwest Cascade Routes - Beginner/Intermediate
Yeah, I’ve starred at that area for sure. Are you referring to Goat Rocks in particular or the Packwood/White Pass area in general? It’s a bit of a drive but it’s on my short list for sure. Have spent my fair share of time reading  Cascade Crusade write ups of their tours there. Been there for summer backpacking before. Super cool area. 

• MangyMarmot
  • [MangyMarmot]
More
25 Nov 2020 10:42 #234144 by MangyMarmot
Replied by MangyMarmot on topic Southwest Cascade Routes - Beginner/Intermediate
Crystal Mountain backcountry is also really cool. There is tons of moderate terrain and awesome views. Also Rainier (Muir, Mazama Ridge, Tatoosh range).

• nwboarder82
  • [nwboarder82]
More
03 Dec 2020 07:24 #234201 by nwboarder82
Replied by nwboarder82 on topic Southwest Cascade Routes - Beginner/Intermediate
Honestly, you're best chance at decent accessible beginner/intermediate terrain less than 1hr away will be on Hood. There are several areas you could tour with gentler terrain options such as Bennett Pass, Tilly Jane Historic Area, or White River Snopark. If you go towards Govy, there's Glade and Alpine trail.

Your WA local options are limited to:
-The area surrounding Adams requires a loooong approach by foot or you/friend with a sled. You can try to see if there are any options with some of the surrounding sno-park, but I think the downhill options are very limited
-St Helens is +2hrs drive with some beginner/intermediate terrain below the 4800ft sign. Be prepared for variable surface conditions