Alaska in June 2018

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Dec 2017 10:31 #158626 by telemack
Alaska in June 2018 was created by telemack
We will be in Kenai and Soldotna June 24-July 1 for a wedding on June 30, 2018, and in Alaska for perhaps a week before that. I am interested in skiing anywhere between Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula. I know June skiing is dependent on the previous winter and on weather at the time. What might be available then? I would like to either hire a guide for a day or get info. on accessible locations I can get to solo. We will have a car.
I would probably rent skis but could bring some of my own, like boots. Sounds like Anchorage is the place for that.
Any tours, recommendations for guides, locations, or advice would be very helpful. Thanks very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jdoneill
  • [jdoneill]
More
29 Dec 2017 11:57 #158695 by jdoneill
Replied by jdoneill on topic Re: Alaska in June 2018
While June skiing is dependent on previous winter, Spring is something to watch as warming is happening much sooner and receding much quicker as of late. If it is good, you should be able to access skiable terrain beyond the front range hitters in Turnagain Pass, e.g. Pastoral or Big Chief. Take a look at Carpathian and or Bench, although most attempts on these at this time of year are more climbing. On really good years places like Portage Valley, Whittier glacier, or Jewel glacier above Girdwood have been achievable, but it has been years since I rallied up in these spots this late.

Not sure about guides this late as most have gone on to other locales/professions, you can try Joe Stock (www.stockalpine.com/backcountry-skiing) as he lists Oct thru June as dates.

Don't hesitate to ping me as your trip dates get closer and look forward to hearing about your adventure!

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Apr 2018 19:01 #161168 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Alaska in June 2018
Ditto on above .
I've skied Turnagin area and June is getting late in the season but you might be OK.

I've also skied Thomson pass in Valdez area at that time of year but that's not on your route.( 6 hrs drive from ANC).

Ive rented gear from AMH in Anchorage years ago( Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking) but i don't know their current program and presume they are still in business.

If you do go to Valdez don't hire Matt Kinney. Although a telemarker like you i can't recommend him.