Home > Forum > Categories > Trip Research > Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?

Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?

• lernr
  • [lernr]
More
21 Dec 2017 09:06 #158499 by lernr
Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel? was created by lernr
Going to Sun Peaks in a few days with the family, but prefer to stay off the lifts and hit the backcountry. Avy trained, full gear, GPS, airbag, etc.

Any day trip suggestions? Don't need secret stashes, just "regular" hopefully staying a bit away from the lifts and runs.

Cheers
Ivo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
21 Dec 2017 12:13 #158506 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?

Going to Sun Peaks in a few days with the family, but prefer to stay off the lifts and hit the backcountry. Avy trained, full gear, GPS, airbag, etc.

Any day trip suggestions? Don't need secret stashes, just "regular" hopefully staying a bit away from the lifts and runs.

Cheers
Ivo

There's not a ton apart from lift-accessed BC from the resort that's super close. Coquihalla Summit isn't too far and has good skiing. Rogers pass is like 3:45 away :).

You can find some fun, short open shots in the area north of the Crystal lift, which starts with Gil's (which now more developed, I've heard), but there's way more further out. Without getting too specific, head NE of Mt. Tod and you'll see some stuff. The good skiing is almost all E/NE facing. No huge vert, but it's cold and dry out there, so the pow recycles nicely. Snowmobiles can be an issue. Google Earth will show you some stuff rolling E of the benches N of the resort boundary.

More
22 Dec 2017 08:17 #158522 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?
The Coq is fricking miles away if you are going to Sun Peaks with the family and defeats the point of going to sun peaks with the family in the first place, I'd be dead if I pulled a move like that. Its a great family resort IMHO and there are some side stash areas there that are pretty fun. There is a guaranteed "NO UPHILL TRAVEL POLICY", sure of that as I checked in years past. Try the gills and hike out that way for a bit, you can get yourself some solitude out there.

More
22 Dec 2017 11:45 #158525 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?
It's been years but I recall walking to a handful of nice glades from the tops of the lift access. Even then uphill was discouraged but a couple locals let me tag along before they open for an early run. That climate holds the powder after the resort is tracked out.

• lernr
  • [lernr]
More
24 Dec 2017 19:06 #158596 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?
Thank you!

Looks like I'll be sticking with lift-served access to some spots around Gil's.

Happy Holidays!
Ivo

More
25 Dec 2017 12:42 #158602 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?
On Xmas morning skiing powder at Summit Central, I met the local  rep from Sun Peaks who just returned from Sun Peaks. He had a powder day in the Gils. Of course, he had a Sun Peaks manager put in a climbing track to the "Powder Stashes".  ;)

• lernr
  • [lernr]
More
25 Dec 2017 14:44 #158605 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: Sun Peaks BC backcountry intel?
ooh I'm going to be looking for this :)

Thanks for the beta, Zap!

Cheers
Ivo