Home > Forum > Categories > Site Feedback > Old images not appearing

Old images not appearing

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
07 Apr 2020 10:35 - 07 Apr 2020 17:28 #167084 by kamtron
Old images not appearing was created by kamtron
Congratulations on the new site.

I checked and am happy that my old TR's are still linked to my account. However, in some (not all) posts the photos don't show up. For example, see:
turns-all-year.com/trip-reports/april-15...es-never-have-powder
The TR tries to link to the image at turns-all-year.com/images/legacy/Old_chu...HSQgDOTIzuD0_tay.jpg but this apparently is not available.

Hopefully these images are around somewhere and can be restored. Thanks!
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 17:28 by MtnPavlas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Apr 2020 17:27 #167085 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Old images not appearing
Thanks for the report, kamtron. Honestly, it's a miracle I was able to salvage the TR's and some images, but hey, I'll do you a better one. Found another directory of images, and brought it over. The TR above now displays the image. LMK if you see another one.

Also, since the old TR's were written in BB code, and the new one in HTML, the "translation" was not perfect, especially when someone included URL's. So again, if you see issues (e.g. only a part of your TR is displaying, LMK, and I'll dive into the HTML for the post, and adjust as needed.

Looking forward to many more awesome TR's from you : )

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
07 Apr 2020 21:19 - 07 Apr 2020 21:20 #167086 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Old images not appearing
Hi Pavel,
Okay, sounds like what i expected. I also noticed that some of the transcoding between whatever format the old forum used and the new one has garbled some of the special characters (apostrophes and quotes). Maybe there is a way for us to automate fixing that? I might be able to help. It's likely some encoding issue like UTF-8 or something related. And that could be causing the incorrect URLs.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 21:20 by kamtron.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Apr 2020 22:10 #167088 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Old images not appearing
Thanks for offering your help, kamtron. If you want to take a look, feel free to ping me via PM (link on my profile page ). I need to focus on some other higher-priority items for the site to work on at the moment. Apostrophes and quotes should be easy to sort out. Emoticons, hmm, who knows.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 May 2020 15:12 #233774 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Old images not appearing
In July 2017, fearing that TAY would crash hard one day and be lost, I scraped the entire site with:

wget -nc -p --wait=.1 www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi....php?topic=$ctr.0\;a

The take comprises ~6.2 GB of information and may have images/TRs that were lost. Happy to hand off a copy to Lowell for safekeeping, too.