Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Hip Replacement Surgery

Hip Replacement Surgery

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
01 Jan 2022 12:35 - 01 Jan 2022 12:36 #235512 by mBraun
Hip Replacement Surgery was created by mBraun
Have you had hip replacement surgery or do you know someone who has had it?
Does hip replacement terminate one's ability to ski backcountry and inbound?

If you want to send an email or talk by phone, please respond to this post or send a personal message through TAY and I will send you my contact information.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 12:36 by mBraun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
01 Jan 2022 12:42 #235513 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Hip Replacement Surgery
I've a couple friends who've gotten hip replacements and it has really helped them return to ski touring after being in pain for years!

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
01 Jan 2022 12:52 - 01 Jan 2022 12:55 #235514 by mBraun
Replied by mBraun on topic Hip Replacement Surgery
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, the "ski touring" you are referring to is backcountry powder and crud (which often can't be avoided). I assume there is an increased risk of injury at bone supporting the new hip joint, but it's relatively safe as long as one skis moderately and doesn't have a violent fall. Is this a reasonable assumption?
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 12:55 by mBraun.

• steepdeeply
  • [steepdeeply]
More
01 Jan 2022 13:17 #235516 by steepdeeply
Replied by steepdeeply on topic Hip Replacement Surgery
I had my hip done 8 years ago, I was 52 at the time. My doctor was Dr Pritchett at pro ortho. Dr Pritchett recommended a hip resurfacing. In that procedure the socket is replaced like is done in a full hip replacement and femoral head is ground down and the new ball is attached to it. This procedure maintains your original alignment and can only be done on younger patients with good bone density . I am really happy with the new hip. I was skiing 6 months after surgery and within a year was skiing at my full potential. I have no limitations, dislocation with this procedure is very rare. I imagine there are many advances in hip replacement now , not sure this procedure is still done. The bottom line is you should be able to do all activities once you have recovered from surgery, it takes lots of PT and hard work on your part.

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
01 Jan 2022 13:50 #235518 by mBraun
Thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated.

• alpinedad
  • [alpinedad]
More
01 Jan 2022 23:58 #235522 by alpinedad
Replied by alpinedad on topic Hip Replacement Surgery
I had my right hip total replacement surgery on May 2016. Same year December, I started resort ski then slowly got back to backcountry ski. It took me about 18 months to come back to 99% pre-surgery healthy structure condition, especially in confidence. Then I had to do the same thing to left hip on May 2021. Both surgeries were done at UW medicine by Dr. Paul Manner and it’s minimally invasive surgery. Surgery itself took only less than 90 minutes. The recovery from second surgery, which is still going on, was/is incredibly fast. I was able to road bike around the blocks from day 10. I started going to MTB trails after two weeks of surgery. I used bike especially mountain bike as physical therapy. I never did proper PT ever since I was discharged from the hospital. I’m 51 now with both hips total replaced but more active than ever. Just did chair peak circumnavigation tour on new year day, and it felt like dream!

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
05 Jan 2022 22:52 #235546 by mBraun
Thank you Kamtron, SteepDeeply, and AlpineDad for the information and encouraging comments.

More
03 Feb 2022 21:22 #235674 by rippy
Replied by rippy on topic Hip Replacement Surgery
I also went the hip resurfacing route with Dr. Pritchett. Range of motion a little different but it was a real bad hip to begin with. I'm 68 and ski as hard as I want and tour when it's good. Other factors limit me but never the hip.  With resurfacing, you have more complex options later should they be necessary but going on 9 years and it has held up well.