Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Baker CO2 emissions

Baker CO2 emissions

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
13 Oct 2021 07:28 - 13 Oct 2021 07:35 #235247 by kamtron
Baker CO2 emissions was created by kamtron
Since Baker is now my nearest ski area and runs on 100% fossil fuels--there is no electrical grid connection--I was interested in estimating the carbon footprint of a day of skiing. Maybe you'll find it interesting.

I found some really useful data from 2020 that comes from a clean air agency public notice. It looks like the area was required to update some of their engines to comply with NOx emissions limits. In their spreadsheet is a calculation of 2705 t (metric tonnes, 1000 kg per t) of CO2 emitted per year if they run their generators as much as possible while staying below the yearly limit on NOx.

I did my own little calculation using just the engines that power the lifts + the generator at White Salmon that powers the lodge & C7 based on the total kW of engine power and the given rate of 240 g diesel/kW-hr. For an 8 hr day of skiing, that totals about 4500 L of diesel or 12 t of CO2 per day. Over a 120 day season, that gives 1450 t CO2 per season. I think of these numbers as closer to a lower estimate to the upper estimate of 2705 t.

To put those numbers in context, 12 t CO2 per day is on the same order as the emissions of an average person in the US each year data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?locations=US. To drive to the ski area and back from Bellingham, about 100 miles, amounts to about 41 kg CO2. So if >300 people are skiing at the area, I would emit less carbon driving than the per-person fuel used to power the lifts, whereas on a day with <300 visitors, my "share" of the ski area emissions would be larger.

Data:
nwcleanairwa.gov/?wpdmdl=6906
nwcleanairwa.gov/?wpdmdl=6907
nwcleanairwa.gov/?wpdmdl=6908
nwcleanairwa.gov/?wpdmdl=6909
nwcleanairwa.gov/?wpdmdl=6910
Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 07:35 by kamtron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Oct 2021 06:46 #235250 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Baker CO2 emissions
Very interesting, kam, thanks! Might be difficult to estimate, but seems like the fuel for plowing the road should be added?

For most of my life, I couldn't afford the drive to any ski area from Ashford, let alone the cost of a lift ticket. Makes me wonder what my carbon footprint is driving 50 miles RT to Paradise (~two gallons).

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
14 Oct 2021 11:41 #235252 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Baker CO2 emissions
Hi Gary, yeah that would add to the footprint overall + the groomers + snowmobiles + plowing the parking lots, etc. But it seems likely that running the lifts & lodges (requiring > 2 MW) is on a different order of magnitude from that.

If you get similar gas mileage to me, driving 50 miles should be about 20 kg CO2.