Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Gripwalk boots just as good?

Gripwalk boots just as good?

• Snitter
  • [Snitter]
More
07 Mar 2021 20:29 #234822 by Snitter
Gripwalk boots just as good? was created by Snitter
I have been looking at replacing some gear (especially my boots) as I hope to try and jump back into touring after a bit of a break.  I have 11 year old Black Diamond Quadrant boots to replace and Fritchi Freeride binding (which are next in line to replace with tech bindings).
As I have looked into boots, I found a number of them that have the Gripwalk soles but have not found any good reviews comparing them to more touring boots (I am likely getting Scarpa Maestrale). Looking at the website and other reviews for Gripwalk, it seems like they are more for short tours or increased comfort/safety while walking around the resort. Just eyeballing the boots, it looks like the Gripwalk boots do not have as much curve/rocker to the toes but I do not really know if that translates to any significant difference in performance for booting or touring.  
I hope to do more touring than lift skiing, so would I be better off choosing boots without Gripwalk or is it not that simple of a decision?  Any experiences or opinions are very much appreciated!
Thanks all,
Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2021 19:53 #234832 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Gripwalk boots just as good?
I have a pair of Maestrale RS boots and ski them in the resort. So far I've been using my backcountry skis in the resort and also a pair of heavier "50-50" skis, both that have tech bindings on them. Some say not to use tech bindings in the resort but I'm approaching the old guy category and don't push too hard. That said, the next arrow in my quiver will be a more inbounds oriented ski with the Shift or other hybrid-style of binding. All this is to say, I only have one pair of boots, which are touring boots, and they work well for me, in the resort and out. I bought the Maestrale RS because I wanted a stiffer boot to do double duty and it's worked out well.  

More
09 Mar 2021 17:08 #234836 by sconey
Replied by sconey on topic Gripwalk boots just as good?
www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-binding-compatibility

Boot shopping eh? Vaya con Dios. 

• Snitter
  • [Snitter]
More
12 Mar 2021 22:20 - 12 Mar 2021 22:25 #234853 by Snitter
Replied by Snitter on topic Gripwalk boots just as good?
My head starts spinning trying to consider all the combos of boots and bindings Sconey!  Thanks for that link and wish me luck. 
TooSlim, thanks for sharing your experience with the Maestrales.  I am looking for a one boot quiver and I may pull the trigger on getting them. 
Last edit: 12 Mar 2021 22:25 by Snitter.

More
13 Mar 2021 05:40 #234854 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Gripwalk boots just as good?

Snitter wrote: My head starts spinning trying to consider all the combos of boots and bindings Sconey!  Thanks for that link and wish me luck. 
TooSlim, thanks for sharing your experience with the Maestrales.  I am looking for a one boot quiver and I may pull the trigger on getting them. 

There is a post on Wildsnow that's worth a look. Wading through the comment section will give you an idea of how others have successfully (in their own minds) solved the "one boot quiver" dilemma.

Skiing Inbounds? Forget the Quiver of One - The Backcountry Ski Touring Blog (wildsnow.com)