Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Costco shovel shame on me

Costco shovel shame on me

• jtack
  • [jtack]
More
02 Mar 2021 08:35 - 02 Mar 2021 08:46 #234786 by jtack
Costco shovel shame on me was created by jtack
  I have owned a Voile shovel for more than 15 years, I always kinda grumbled about the weight but kept it in the pack just because it's what I had. Then last year my wife came home with a 3 pack (I think) of shovels from Costco, said we needed one for the car, and pickup just in case. They were darn lite, and didn't seem too bad to me, one left over so I decided it would be fine to carry. I have used it dozens of times, pits mostly, once to dig out a guys stuck car, nothing too demanding, what I would call lite work. Last week I was on a sled, got in a tight spot, and had to do a lot of digging in fairly crusted snow.  My Costco shovel snapped off at the neck of the blade, what's more it broke such that it would have been nearly unusable in a critical situation. It was a very sobering, had I been using that shovel in a rescue, I would have been next to useless. Fortunately I has my good ole Voile on the sled, got it out and finished the job. It was a stark comparison the lite flimsy Costco vs the tough as nails Voile. The moral of the story; friends don't let friends carry cheap China shovels! The life they save might be yours.  The Voile is back in the sack, and somehow it does not seem as heavy as it use too.  

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2021 08:46 by jtack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MtnPavlas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Mar 2021 08:52 #234787 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Costco shovel shame on me
Thanks for sharing, jtack. Good time and place to break it (and good on you to have a back-up, too).

• Micah
  • [primate]
  • Away
More
02 Mar 2021 10:20 #234790 by Micah
Replied by Micah on topic Costco shovel shame on me
I had a similar experience with those costco shovels. I was digging a pit and levering a bit of icy snow out of the bottom. I had applied a decent amount of force, but nothing near what I would expect to need to damage the shovel. It bent at the same place yours broke at. I instantly felt ashamed for carrying it as a rescue tool.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
02 Mar 2021 18:35 #234792 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Costco shovel shame on me
Phew! An inexpensive lesson. Wish I'd been there!

More
03 Mar 2021 09:58 #234795 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Costco shovel shame on me
Crap, I carry a Pieps beacon AND a Costco shovel. I wonder how many other bad choices I have in my kit.