Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Electric vehicle drivers?

Electric vehicle drivers?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
22 Feb 2021 08:18 #234739 by kamtron
Electric vehicle drivers? was created by kamtron
I'm curious if anyone on here drives an electric vehicle. I'm looking into a Chevy Bolt for an around-town car but would also like to be able to use it as a ski commuter on days when an AWD doesn't seem necessary. This would be about a 100 mi round-trip commute from Bellingham to Baker. Seems like that's well within the range of the vehicle, but it would then be sitting in the colder parking lot and using power to keep the battery warm.

Does anyone with experience doing this kind of thing want to chime in on how an EV does with typical Washington winter driving & temps? I see quite a few Teslas at the ski areas, but that's not on my list at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2021 09:15 #234769 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Electric vehicle drivers?
A company called Rivian is supposed to make some "outdoor vehicle".  I don't think they are on the market yet.  I do not know what they are asking for.  I still am not into this 300 mile....then wait and recharge thing for outdoor people.

I foresee families having a gas powered vehicle and an electric vehicle.  I still thought the Chevy Volt was a good car for distance anxiety....but alas, I don't think they make them any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kamtron

• Travis Thornton
  • [TST]
More
01 Mar 2021 08:36 #234777 by Travis Thornton
Replied by Travis Thornton on topic Electric vehicle drivers?
We have a Bolt living outside of Winthrop.  It's great.  There are now at least 6 of them here in the Methow Valley.  Traction is not a problem with good snow tires (Blizzaks or the Schwab copy).  Clearance can be an issue on very limited occasions in our driveway after a big dump and before the plow.  There is a big reduction in range in the winter, but it's from ~250 to ~150.  The rural fast charging network is sub-awesome for now, but improving.  Even so, there are still enough of them that it's practical to use the EV to the Wenatchee (100 miles) or Spokane (180 miles) airports.