Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Leashes vs. ski brakes

Leashes vs. ski brakes

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
10 Feb 2021 20:37 #234655 by mBraun
Leashes vs. ski brakes was created by mBraun
This year I bought new bindings with leashes instead of ski brakes to save on weight. I've always had skis with brakes until now. I'm concerned about 2 problems with leashes: getting free of skis in an avalanche and preventing skis from running away during transitions.

Problem #1:  I've seen discussions in the past regarding the use of cable ties as "fuses" in case the skier is caught in an avalanche. Is there anything that can be used like a fuse to make the leashes safer in an avalanche?

Problem #2:  I lack the flexibility to remove the skins without first removing the skis from my boots. I stab the tail of the ski into the snow when I'm transitioning to keep the ski from running away, but always there are a few seconds between getting out of the binding and grabbing the ski. Often it is not possible to transition on flat terrain. What else can I do to prevent a runaway ski? Should I temporarily attach a long cord tied to my backpack that is stuffed into a waistband pocket when not needed?

What do other skiers do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2021 22:09 #234657 by osean
Replied by osean on topic Leashes vs. ski brakes
If I had brakes that worked well, I would probably use them. You can always add leashes for volcanos where skis slip off feet and find the depths of crevasses. 

1) The Teton Pass Ambassador, Jay Piston, uses a ring attached to a buckle with athletes tape that would tear from under the stress of an avalanche. Then he clips his leash into that loop. Having blown a leash from a hard fall, I am under the impression that most avalanches would likely tear the leash anyhow.

2) You could pop out of your toe with leash still attached, then unclip the leash from the boot and grasp the leash to keep hold of the ski. This method can be clumsy on slippery surfaces or tight transitions. Otherwise you can take your leash off, then reach down and pop out of the toe piece using your hand and then grasp the ski. You'll have to bend over more and could be an issue if your flexibility isn't great, but is overall more stable.

Hope one of these is helpful!

More
10 Feb 2021 22:21 - 10 Feb 2021 22:23 #234658 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Leashes vs. ski brakes
I use brakes most of the time but use these on volcanoes or where I feel I need to make sure I don't lose a ski.  You can stay clipped in to the leash and there is enough stretch to do your transitions.  the 'fuse' is part of this system.  There are others on TAY that use these more regulary and for several years and guessing one or more will chime in and can give you a real/better review.

www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

Last edit: 10 Feb 2021 22:23 by Chris.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Feb 2021 00:23 #234659 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Leashes vs. ski brakes
#1: BnD leashes
#2: BnD leashes
www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html
Just re-iterating what Chris said : )

More
11 Feb 2021 17:34 #234665 by JohnBox
Replied by JohnBox on topic Leashes vs. ski brakes
Add me to the list recommending B&D.  I put mine on at the snowmobile and typically don't take them off until I'm done skiing for the day.  I typically rip skins with skis on but they do fine if I take my skis off too.  I don't clip them to a buckle but just make a loop around my boot.  Ocassionally that's a little fiddly with my walk mode but that is very minor.  Also I rarely blow fuses but feel that every time it should happen it does.  The 4-6 feet of stretch in the lesh takes a lot of stress off those fuses when you crash.

• mBraun
  • [mBraun]
More
11 Feb 2021 19:32 #234667 by mBraun
Replied by mBraun on topic Leashes vs. ski brakes
Thank you for the recommendations. I called Feathered Friends but they are out of B&D leashes and won't get more until next ski season (21/22), so I ordered them online. They will arrive next week. Until then, I will use Osean's suggestions of athletic tape for a fuse and releasing my boot from the binding before detaching the leash. Again, thanks to all.