Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Experience with ultralight packs?

Experience with ultralight packs?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Dec 2020 15:40 - 13 Dec 2020 15:42 #234257 by Lowell_Skoog
Experience with ultralight packs? was created by Lowell_Skoog
Anyone have experience with Hyperlight Mountain Gear packs? I'm wondering how their Ice Pack would work for a multi-day ski trip. I'm attracted by the weight, but wondering about pack comfort. Does the pack have an internal frame or an integrated back pad to stiffen it?

www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/collection...oducts/3400-ice-pack

Feel free to suggest other packs to look at. Thanks!
Last edit: 13 Dec 2020 15:42 by Lowell_Skoog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2020 16:40 #234301 by mfonda
Replied by mfonda on topic Experience with ultralight packs?
I have their  Summit Pack , which is a little smaller and more minimal than the Ice Pack. I purchased the pack for day hikes, but have also used it on overnight hikes as well as single day ski tours and as a lift-accessed sidecountry pack.

It does not have any sort of internal frame or support system, but nonetheless I find it quite comfortable. I've had no issues with comfort and have never found myself wishing it had more support, but admittedly I have not taken it on a big trip. I have several friends who swear by Hyperlite packs and have taken them on long backpacking trips, ranging from several weeks to using the pack for the entire PCT, and they all have nothing but good things to say (though none of them ski, so can't comment too much on that).

In my opinion, the biggest downside to it is a lack of any organization system--it's just one big pouch. Stuff sacks can help for better organization, but it's still a little bit more of a hassle than I'd prefer, especially on a ski tour where you'll be accessing it frequently for transitions, food/water, etc. But in exchange for this, you get an unbelievably light pack, and I personally find this to be a good tradeoff. It looks like the Ice Pack might be a little better in this area.

Overall, I think they're great packs and would recommend trying one!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Dec 2020 11:17 #234308 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Experience with ultralight packs?
Thanks!

I think my key concern is the lack of any internal stiffener. I'm thinking about my wimpy shoulders, particularly during those approaches and exits where you've got your skis and boots on the pack. For years, I've used a homemade tump-line during those times, to shift some of the weight to my spine. That may still be good enough.

Mulling...

More
23 Dec 2020 17:57 #234350 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Experience with ultralight packs?
Couple ounces heavier but likely half the price the black ice 55

www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/backpacks/black-ice-55-m
very light/thin back panel, not much support.  I have the 45 and like it but shoulders do take most of the load and you have to get creative for ski carry (couple straps do the trick)

If you want to view or test drive the 45 lmk

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
24 Dec 2020 11:55 #234354 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Experience with ultralight packs?
I'm using the Exped Black Ice 30 as an everyday ski pack. I really like the roll-top and the fabric is durable. The lack of shovel blade storage is the one downside. A larger version of that pack would probably be a great traverse pack, although I'm not sure about support for heavy loads. This review is thorough:
www.proguiding.com/tripreports/gear-exped55/