Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Suggestions for radios to use in the backcountry

Suggestions for radios to use in the backcountry

• Richard_Korry
  • [Richard_Korry]
More
10 Nov 2020 18:43 #234042 by Richard_Korry
I used the BCA BC Link radios with a buddy and found them nice to have especially in deeper snower and dense trees where you might lose track of your partner.
Their upside is being well designed for use while skiing and good range. Their downside is their weight and price.

Have people had good luck with other brands/models that still have good range and are glove friendly?
Thanks
      Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
13 Nov 2020 19:22 #234064 by kamtron
Wildsnow has a good article with recommendations. I just use some cheap Motorolas that they recommend.

• Richard_Korry
  • [Richard_Korry]
More
15 Nov 2020 12:37 #234074 by Richard_Korry
Replied by Richard_Korry on topic Suggestions for radios to use in the backcountry
Thanks - I'll go check out that article.

More
16 Nov 2020 10:11 #234084 by Kenji
Got these last winter: rockytalkie.com/  Haven't used them much to comment...

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Nov 2020 12:27 #234086 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Suggestions for radios to use in the backcountry

Kenji wrote: Got these last winter: rockytalkie.com/  Haven't used them much to comment...

Thanks for sharing, Kenji - the reviews seem pretty amazing so I just ordered one as I was in the market for a decent radio that wouldn't break the bank or weigh a ton. Found a coupon (HUCKADV) online that will get you 10% off, folks. (I'm not affiliated with them or anything ... just thought I'd share in case anyone else may want to order one.)

• Richard_Korry
  • [Richard_Korry]
More
18 Nov 2020 14:32 #234107 by Richard_Korry
Replied by Richard_Korry on topic Suggestions for radios to use in the backcountry
Thanks for the link, the coupon (which worked) and the suggestion. I've ordered a pair and I'll see how they do.
I read an article that interviewed the founders and I liked the way the engineered the design. It definitely feels like they focused on the important aspects of a radio for climbing/skiing and did lots of testing before putting it on the market.