Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle?

Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle?

• Jens Holsten
  • [Jens Holsten]
More
31 Jul 2020 18:09 #233879 by Jens Holsten
Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle? was created by Jens Holsten
Tibia fused to talus. I know it's the right move for me...been thinking about it for many years. But will I still be able to ski all these beautiful lines that surround us? I'm gonna make it happen, but wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
01 Aug 2020 12:01 #233881 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle?
I don't have a fused ankle, so I'm just adding my $.02  If "shin pressure" is the basis of modern ski technique. Then that pressure relys on driving the tongue of your boot with your shin. How can you do that if the angle of your ankle is fused?  What position do they fuse it in?  90 degrees? less? more? 

I broke a hip socket at age 25, and the doctor said he couldn't predict the level of functionality I would have.  As it turned out, I am solid enought to ski.  You may have the same experience as me.  You'll get out there with your fused ankle and see if you can make it work.  You'll probably lose some performance, but that's always the case when you get hurt,... or eventually OLD...  This I know from experience.   Good luck with your surgery.

T.S

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
03 Aug 2020 10:30 #233884 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle?
I think Lou Dawson of Wildsnow fame has a fused ankle and has spoken about it on that blog a bit. I think it makes for some difficulties with bootfitting and such, but the guy still gets after it!

• Jens Holsten
  • [Jens Holsten]
More
10 Aug 2020 16:49 #233887 by Jens Holsten
Replied by Jens Holsten on topic Anyone here shredding with a fused ankle?
Thx for the replies!