Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Backcountry Ski Towns

Backcountry Ski Towns

• gavinj4
  • [gavinj4]
More
25 May 2020 17:35 - 26 May 2020 11:39 #233776 by gavinj4
Backcountry Ski Towns was created by gavinj4
I'm trying to compile a list of the best "Backcountry Ski Towns" in the US.

Here are my criteria: 
1) Access to good backcountry terrain <45 min from town. The closer the better!
1a) Preferably the majority of the terrain is accessible without a snowmobile 
2) Cost of living is reasonable. I know this one may be tricky. And the housing market is big enough you could reasonably find a room. 
3) Job market in town is big enough that you could roll into town and with some searching find a job as a dishwasher, grocery store employee, etc...

Excited to hear what people come up with! Also, totally want to hear of places even if they don't fit all of these criteria. 
Last edit: 26 May 2020 11:39 by gavinj4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skier of the Hood
  • [Skier of the Hood]
More
25 May 2020 22:22 - 25 May 2020 22:29 #233778 by Skier of the Hood
Replied by Skier of the Hood on topic Backcountry Ski Towns
You should share your preliminary list (;

I will nominate Joseph and Haines, Oregon.

I agree that a lot of the ski terrain requires a snowmobile for Cooke City, but I also suspect that it has more ski terrain that is day trip-able then many towns that will be listed here. Not sure how easy it is to get a place to stay there though...

turns-all-year.com/trip-reports/february...-cooke-city-montucky
Last edit: 25 May 2020 22:29 by Skier of the Hood.

• filbo
  • [philgallagher46]
More
30 May 2020 08:58 #233787 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Backcountry Ski Towns
I would say Hamilton Montana because it is a 40 minute drive on Hwy 93 to Lost Trail Pass which sits on the Montana-Idaho border at a very high elevation 7,000ft approximately.   There is a ski resort there that is open from Thurs thru Sun which is still a laid back affair with lift served access to some very nice bc and easy touring when the resort is closed.
A season pass is probably still very inexpensive and Hamilton is a nice town on the Bitterroot River.

• alanruther
  • [alanruther]
More
06 Aug 2021 13:16 - 09 Aug 2021 04:22 #235186 by alanruther
Replied by alanruther on topic Backcountry Ski Towns
I was at one such wonderful resort, I think it was called "Steamboat". My parents chose it, argued for a long time and agreed on the choice of a Steamboat on bluehouseskis.com/. We went there, the road from the nearest city was about 25-30 minutes. I'm not a fan of ski resorts, but my parents love them very much. But even I really liked it there, there was great food, there was a very cool atmosphere of a classic American resort. There was a deer's head in the bar too) there was a cable car and a snowmobile, but it was not necessary to use it. I do not know if it is possible to get a job in a local store, but it seems to me quite strange to go to a resort without money. In any case, I hope you will choose for yourself what you are comfortable with.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 04:22 by alanruther.

More
11 Aug 2021 22:01 #235189 by TooSlim
Replied by TooSlim on topic Backcountry Ski Towns
North Bend or Bellingham or even Nelson BC, if you are willing to do some border crossing. These aren't Jackson, Tahoe or Whistler but they meet your criteria. And, they are regular towns where regular people can live and work...and ski.