Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > New TAY site prototype - take it for a spin

New TAY site prototype - take it for a spin

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Nov 2019 16:47 #233067 by MtnPavlas
TAY community,
I've built a prototype for what could become the next iteration of the TAY site. I know asking for feedback broadly like this may open a can of worms, but hey, this is a pretty friendly group so why not : )
The link is: phpstack-103356-1002547.cloudwaysapps.com/
Feel free to look around (most of the content is just placeholders... don't get offended by the MTB imagery), create a user account, post a TR (real or bogus one), make a forum post, and send any major feedback via a post in the Forum (on the new site prototype) or via a PM to me (here or on the prototype site).
Please note:
  • The idea is to create a minimal viable product, i.e. not to solve world hunger with this initial launch - if folks like and use it, I'll keep improving it
  • Search doesn't work yet
  • Once you create a user account, you can start posting stuff, but the URL to your profile won't work correctly (I need to buy a plugin to make that work flawlessly; in the meantime, I'll make some minor adjustments manually once/day or so)
Next steps:
  • I'll implement any key changes based on feedback
  • The rest will go into a backlog for future enhancements
  • I'm hoping to get access to the current TAY site content, and suck it into the new site (have connected with the owner, though still waiting on the credentials)
  • If I can't get access to the old/current TAY content, we may need to launch this under a new domain
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyrew
  • [andyrew609]
More
22 Nov 2019 05:28 #233069 by andyrew
Looks good, and already pretty fully featured. I hope it can claw back mindshare from FB. A few high level comments.

1. Is the backend well supported and likely to be around for a while? Would be a shame if it also rapidly accrued tech debt.
2. Supposing you can get a database dump of TAY, is it straightforward to merge it with the new forum database? There's a real wealth of historical content worth preserving.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Nov 2019 11:35 #233070 by MtnPavlas
Replied by MtnPavlas on topic Re: New TAY site prototype - take it for a spin
Thank you, andyrew, for your kind words.

Re #1: Yes
Re #2: That's the plan, and I'm hopeful we will be able to bring (most) content over to the new site, and am working with the current TAY site ownership on access. Stay tuned, and cross your fingers : )

More
25 Nov 2019 13:22 #233072 by aaasen
I think the current site has some charm, but the much easier registration and image upload on the new site is a big plus. I think these are the two biggest blockers to new people using TAY. Nice work!