40 years of TAY

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Sep 2019 08:18 #233023 by silaswild
40 years of TAY was created by silaswild
Our friend Tom Szwedko just skied his 480th month on Sunday. For those of you who don't know, he started his streak in Pennsylvania and now lives in Leadville CO. www.powder.com/stories/morpheme-an-annual-legend/ This year he "only" skinned 322 days (last year 340) because he had several chemo appointments for prostate cancer. He used to visit the Muir snowfield for summer turns and did the Timberline at Hood twofer last year. This year CO had a big season so he's staying put.

Congratulations tomski (his name on the old telemarktips forum) hope you get 40 more years on those goodwill skinny tele sticks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 16:04 - 05 Sep 2019 16:09 #233024 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: 40 years of TAY
I dutifully ski Muir and the like in June, maybe early July, but hang it up in August and September. Call me lazy but alpine flower fixes are too easily had with a light pack and small ambitions. So, when I see TAY'er go 2, 3, 20 or more years without missing a month I tip my hat to their single-minded focus edging toward obsession. But 40 years? That's just beyond comprehension.

More
10 Sep 2019 12:14 #233028 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: 40 years of TAY
I think I recall seeing Tom's profile here as an early adopter of this lifestyle, and then of course his measured contributions at TT. Have to admire the dedication.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Sep 2019 19:57 #233033 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: 40 years of TAY
Tom's streak was mindblowing back when I started out, even more-so now.

Watching him float down corn on his skinny skis and leather boots was a revelation in its own right. Glad to hear the streak's still going, and the very best of wishes for many more turns to come.

• RyanLikes2Ski
  • [RyanLikes2Ski]
More
19 Sep 2019 13:42 #233039 by RyanLikes2Ski
Replied by RyanLikes2Ski on topic Re: 40 years of TAY
A true inspiration to snow junkies everywhere. Congrats!!