Home > Forum > Categories > Random Tracks > Dynafit binding mount position on Madshus Annum

Dynafit binding mount position on Madshus Annum

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
19 Feb 2014 17:28 #220571 by AlpineRose
Just purchased 165cm Madshus Annum (Karhu Guide) and plan to mount Dynafit Speed Radicals on them. These would be my AT waxless meadow skippers that would be way more fun to turn than my more Nordic type setups. I know there are TAY folks who have similar setups, so where on these skis should the bindings be mounted? There are 3 lines on the skis for different boot sizes, but I'm thinking that may be for tele/nordic not fixed heel. I wanted to take advantage of the expertise on this forum to solicit opinions. Boot range is 25.0-25.5 bsl 277-286. I would like to tweak binding mount towards turning fun.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Feb 2014 18:33 #220576 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Dynafit binding mount position on Madshus Annum
I have Speed Radicals on my Karhu Guides; I just added 3.2 mm B&D shims to the toes to reduce delta (angle from heel piece to toe); I use them with TLT5s, great set up, but I felt I wanted less Delta (excessive delta has negative effects on everything from the knee down and sometimes on the quads).  Negative effects of Delta increase with decreasing boot sole length; I wear a US 11 so you many want to check into shims. See discussion on Wildsnow.com.

Karhus provided mounting guidance for AT bindings with a boot center mark on the ski and the table with distance from the tail to boot center.  The 3 lines on the ski are indeed for nordic/tele not for AT.

Tech bindings are great for climbing and breaking trail as well as the downhill; they lack just a little for kick and guide so I have a pair of Madshus Epochs with 3 pins to use with a Fischer BCx 6 boot--the lack of tip rise in deep snow compared to AT is remarkable; I'll use the Epoch only in shallow or groomed snow.

More
19 Feb 2014 19:21 #220586 by Robie
Hmm , Seems like the link Andy so helpfully provided answers your question. Nice info to have. I'll copy that and put it in my shop file.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
20 Feb 2014 14:27 #211604 by AlpineRose
Thanks, Andy. Just the info I was looking for. Saved the document to my computer. Now that Marmot is gone, I have no faith there's any tech in the area that would know this.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Feb 2014 15:20 #211541 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Dynafit binding mount position on Madshus Annum

Now that Marmot is gone, I have no faith there's any tech in the area that would know this.

They're not gone yet -- last day is March 2, according to the flyer.

More
15 Apr 2024 12:46 #237423 by Rileydog
Hello,
Based on a recent knee injury I would like to remove my tele bindings and mount AT bindings on my Karhu Guide/Annums.
The link that was provided in this thread appears to be gone.
Any advice on mount point? 167 ski, boot bsl 307.
Thanks.

• Robie
  • [RobertAPruden]
More
19 Apr 2024 19:53 #237440 by Robie
Riley Dog
Yep, I cant find this info in my files and it appears I did not make a copy.
Anyways I have 3 rigs like this
174  Karhu  guides
185 Madshus Annum
182 Madshus Panarama M78
all mounted with  Dynafit TLT bindings

So the following is purely empirical.

My boots are Garmont excursion 30 mondo and TLT6 size 30 mondo with a BSL 327
Take your AT boot and Telemark boot compare and align nose to nose and heel to heel. Both of these shells appear to be damn close in length.
Assuming both types of boots are the same size or close . Note the difference in length between 3 pin and tech boot pins.
in my case this distance was roughly 3/4"

The center of my installed TLT dynafit pins ended up one line back on the 185 Madshus Annums and 182 Panarama M78 26-28.5 line which is perhaps 1 cm forward of a "standard mount". I always err forward in mounting for turn initiation and after all these "Nordic" skis are meant to be turn oriented. All 3 skis ski just fine. I might add they ski amazing well in powder ok on the groomed but not so straight tracking as true nordic ski due to the modern sidecut. I use them primarily on weekends at Snoqualomie using the nordic trails, Mt Catherine loop and lifts to just kinda knock around. A couple times a year they get to ski corn snow, again knocking around Paradise and Mazama ridge in easy stuff. If one remembers the dimensions are the same or similar to the K2 Explorer / Olin Selkirk.
My new boot center mark on the Annums,Guides and Panarama skis corresponds closely with similar factory marked Alpine touring skis I have in my fleet.

I suspect your dynafit pins will land somewhere close or slightly behind the 23-25.5 mark

And finally on the need for "preciseness" Each Madshus demarcation line encompasses 3 to 4 boot sizes ????

find your preference and be sure and put a boot center mark on your skis!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rileydog