Home > Forum > Categories > Partners Wanted > Super-long shot. New to the backcountry, looking for good role models

Super-long shot. New to the backcountry, looking for good role models

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
15 May 2020 09:44 #233734 by Other Aaron
Probably the wrong time to be posting something like this, so consider this an early start for next season (unless we start seeing more re-openings soon) I'm new to Backcountry skiing and have been looking for good role models, ski partners, or just an experienced ski group to let me tag along on some day ski trips.

I'm not diving in completely blind. I have done some short day tours with The Mountaineers at crystal and Meany lodge which have whet my appetite (and AIARE 1, of course). My issue has been finding groups outside of these highly organized events. My resort friends are a bit nervous about trying backcountry skiing, and I'm finding a lot of the facebook groups are filled with other novices who are too willing to dive into avalanche (or other adverse) conditions. 

In short, if anyone is willing to bring-up a backcountry novice with routes, advice, and days out, it would be much appreciated. I would like to get to the point where I could confidently lead those like I am currently into their first backcountry experiences, and not feel like undue liability when it comes to some of the larger objectives and summits.

About me:
  • 26 M
  • Learned to ski in 2012 (Socal native, cut me some slack)
  • Advanced-expert resort off-piste skier
  • Fairly cautious when entering new zones/new conditions
  • aggressive and confident skier in familiar terrain/good visibility
Any consideration would be much appreciated
Thank You
Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MtnPavlas
  • [mtnpavlas]
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 May 2020 10:03 #233735 by MtnPavlas
Hi Aaron, welcome to TAY. Feel free to ping me via IM/DM, and we can connect via Google Meet or Zoom or whatever, then go from there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Other Aaron

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
15 May 2020 10:10 #233736 by Other Aaron
Thank You!
I'll send something over at Lunch!

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 May 2020 17:43 #233745 by avajane
Based out of Wenatchee. Hit me up if you are ever wanting to ski around Blewett. I’ve got some areas I know real well, and sometimes want company when I want to go a little further/steeper. Message me if you like.

Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Other Aaron

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
16 May 2020 21:04 #233746 by Other Aaron
Thank you very much for the Tour up to Silver today. Look forward to doing another in the future.

• Masedoggy
  • [Masedoggy]
More
19 May 2020 08:00 #233750 by Masedoggy
Hey dude,

I'm in the same boat as you.  

AIARE 1, and a couple of day tours, similar riding ability, and also looking for mentors.  I'd love to meet up for a spring tour to practice some skills and get a couple of turns in. Let me know when you're interested in getting out there.  

Based in Seattle.

-Mason 

• Masedoggy
  • [Masedoggy]
More
19 May 2020 09:55 #233752 by Masedoggy
Hey Aaron, 

I'm in the same boat as you.  Similar backcountry experience, riding abilities, and avalanche education.  Let me know if you're interested in connecting and talking about a spring tour.  

-Mason 

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
22 May 2020 09:12 #233760 by Other Aaron
Mason,
I'm going with another guy from the TAY FB page (Nick Holden) to silver peak (Hyak) on sunday to reprise my trip from last weekend. PM me if you are interested, or have other location suggestions.

I'm aiming for Silver to reinforce my familiarity, but if you know your way around the snow lake, pineapple pass, stevens pass, those could also be options. Crystal/Bullion Basin could work, but I don't think the coverage goes high enough

More
13 Jun 2020 20:38 #233811 by coldcutz
Also similar boat with you guys (Aaron & Mason). Down to link up for a tour sometime

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
22 Jun 2020 08:30 #233824 by Other Aaron
Apologies for the delay, I was out of town and not checking messages of any sort last week.
You're welcome any time, thinking of doing Muir next weekend, though may be part of another group.

More
17 Sep 2020 00:21 #233912 by Hane
Hi all, 

Figured I would tag along on this thread as I find myself in the same limbo as others have mentioned. Resort friends are not ready for backcountry, and backcountry friends go faster and riskier than I am ready for.  I'm just looking to meet some new, like minded friends and role models for my future in the mountains. 

My experience entails AIARE 1 (and lots of practice. I really, truly understand the importance of being a capable partner),  guided touring throughout Montana, touring around Mt. Baker while volunteering at the Mountaineers Lodge up there, and other small trips around Mt. Hood. My ideal would be to tag along with a relaxed group for some turns and learning anywhere in WA or OR.

Quick bio
-Portland, OR based
-28 years old, engineer, house music enthusiast
-In decent physical shape (slowly declining while staying at home...)
-I hesitate to call myself an expert in bounds, but enjoy the steeps/double blacks and keep up with my friends who patrol without issue.
-Cautious in the backcountry and always happy to spend the day hiking in the snow with friends, taking a break from the grind, and admiring the alpine beauty.  Skiing down at the end is just a bonus. 

Any consideration would be much appreciated and will be happily met on the track with the beverages and snacks of your choice. 

Cheers to all and here's to hoping for an excellent *winter*, as I know all year is ski season here.

Haney

• GuanacoJockey
  • [Paul S.]
More
10 Nov 2020 13:24 #234040 by GuanacoJockey
Hi Aaron,
With the snow starting to fall I thought I'd jump into this thread as well. I'm in a similar spot as you, Mason, and coldcutz. Strong skier, AIARE 1, relatively new to backcountry, short on partners. Seems like a common theme. Happy to link up sometime for a tour once there's a decent base. Hoping to get out there more this winter!

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
11 Nov 2020 08:02 #234043 by Other Aaron
yeah, I think I'll keep this thread going through the winter to try wrangle some senior Tayers to help the new guys (self included). I'm probably gonna check out how much snow they get at the summit this weekend if you want to join

• MangyMarmot
  • [MangyMarmot]
More
17 Nov 2020 16:21 #234099 by MangyMarmot
I might as well throw my hat in the ring also. I'm a decent skier. I've been skiing in the backcountry for a few years. I've taken AIARE-1. It would be fun to tour with some cool people. I'm in the Seattle area so I usually tour somewhere between Baker and Rainier. I like exploring new places.

Dave

More
22 Nov 2020 16:54 #234127 by Alex A.
Well this post certainly resonated with me - enough that I finally created an account to add my name to the list.

I've done my AIRE 1, overnight trips with WAC , Rainier, and a day trips with friends over the years but I've never spent enough time in the backcountry to really have a good group to go with.

I'm an advanced/expert inbounds skier and much more tentative out in the wild with a large pack on. I've got two little ones at home, so looking for a solid group that can show me the ropes but get me home at the end of the day. Will to do my part. Half days or shorter tours are awesome as well, as scheduling can be a bit hit or miss for me depending on wife/kids/life.

I'm based in Seattle but spend a lot of weekends in the Leavenworth/Plain area. 34 M, keep in decent shape biking around and chasing kids but certainly not setting a record pace these days.

If theres anyone planning an outing and looking for a buddy, let me know.

• GuanacoJockey
  • [Paul S.]
More
01 Dec 2020 11:18 #234174 by GuanacoJockey
I posted this as a separate topic , but I'm thinking about a few casual laps at Snoqualmie Pass (maybe Hyak?) on Friday afternoon, if anyone is interested.

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
02 Dec 2020 10:07 #234186 by Other Aaron
Been out for TG. Catching up this week. have some time to run to Snboqualmie for a morning of skinning next week

• dansanda
  • [dansanda]
More
01 Feb 2021 15:31 #234586 by dansanda
Hi everyone,

I'm a 29-year-old male currently living in Plain WA, skied my whole life in the area, got into backcountry 5 yrs ago. Have all the gear, AIARE level 1, etc. Looking for friends to go on backcountry adventures with. I've done a lot of solo objectives around Stevens Pass/Highway 2 this season, but am getting lonely and generally feel safer in the backcountry when with others.

I'm currently planning backcountry days this Wednesday (2/3) as well as this Saturday (2/6) in the Stevens pass vicinity. Requirements would be avy gear (beacon, probe, shovel), experience on how to use it (ideally AIARE level 1), AT or splitboard setup, strong skier or boarder, and pretty good fitness level overall. Message me or reply if you're interested in linking up!

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
01 Feb 2021 17:24 #234591 by Other Aaron
i'm going to check with my resort group, but i'm having trouble getting reservations at stevens this weekend. I'd be down for saturday or sunday if conditions are good. I'd be coming from seattle

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
14 Mar 2021 17:29 #234867 by Other Aaron
Gonna Bump this again. If anyone has any plans for the weekend of Mar 26/27 or midweek that week. I'm looking for a break from my regular group and to not be leading something.
Especially interested if anyone is up to do st helens

• filbo
  • [philgallagher46]
More
19 Mar 2021 17:30 #234894 by filbo
With the current weather forecast for March 20 thru the coming week and the settled snowpack and moderate and low avi forecasts i will be skiing and touring out of white pass all week long solo if anyone has an interest in getting out into the hogback.

• Other Aaron
  • [OtherAaron]
More
17 Apr 2021 18:43 #235030 by Other Aaron
Weather might not be great, but anyone interested in poking around snoqualmie next weekend? snow lake, Annette lake, Silver Peak??