Whistler/Blackcomb

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Dec 2023 23:12 #236703 by avajane
Whistler/Blackcomb was created by avajane
Ouch! After reading about Crystal, I guess I won’t complain..
Started around 10 to make sure things had softened up. Decided not to go up to the bad vis again at Harmony, so I took my old instructor friend over to Blackcomb for a lesson. He gets rusty every summer playing golf! I really enjoy big soft bumps and that’s what we got in many places today. I think they are afraid to groom, so they are letting things build up like the old days of my youth. My instructor is not a bump fan.. Did you know that Franz’s Run used to be a bump run top to bottom? I digress…Wishbone was a bump run and a fun obstacle course as most boarders and bad skiers can’t ski bumps, and they were crashed all over the place - and doing slow traverses everywhere. We ran Wishbone into more bumps on Zig Zag, and down to Excellerator. Next run was from Rendezvous again, so we went on the west facing slopes and found things a bit smoother - and off and on more rocky. But the 3,000 or so to Mid Blackcomb Gondola was still good for the legs. After 5 days they were starting to feel like Big Mountain legs again. After a water break we bumped over Crystal Glide and skied Ridge Runner, Backstage Pass, and Rock n Roll. All had good sections of nice skiing snow, and sections of rock dodging. Met my wife Kathy, and did another mellow Mid Gondola run. She is still getting better and faster, while I am 20 years into decline… By then my “instructor” was complaining about sore feet and legs, so we hopped on the Peak to Peak and took an easy run down to the top of Creekside Gondola for the ride down to the Hot Tub at Legends..I am pretty much a “Death before Download “ guy, but creekside skiout is really, really out…Still got over 20k in on a short, warm, uncrowded Pre Christmas day. Every night it says it’s minus 2 up top and it’s raining down here…But every day since Saturday has brought No New Snow. Maybe tonight. We might go home a day early as snow is forecast for Stevens Pass Friday, and that makes the Whistler
To Wenatchee drive, a really long day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.