Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!

Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Dec 2023 12:36 - 20 Dec 2023 12:46 #236693 by ddk
Crystal - 12/20 OUCH! was created by ddk
Ski Report - Short version... Ouch!!!!

Wordy version report....OUCH! Been a long time since I've skied such terrible conditions....sadly it was #1's first day - Big nice sun and if we had been willing to lounge around somewhere inside till the warm sun softened up some of the slopes might have been good....been a long time since I spent time in a lodge waiting for conditions to improve...and then it was because of rain showers (I hate rain...but rain makes soft snow). We only did one run down brutal Queens to Tinker to Slow Silver slope and to the base....OUCH! Decided to ride the Bucket up for the views and they were impressive...Hood to Baker and everything in between. If the kiddies had been able to get out last night it would have been a nice day, but since the last two days and last night were so warm and the snow pack is so ultra thin....Got to go home ultra early today - dang!

Other - No soup report from me sadly....A lot was pushing 10% when we drove away, B and C had clusters of cars around the Honey Bucket stations with a fair number of folks arriving as we left. Drive up was kinda late and slow, drive down was ultra early and a happy speed...didn't notice any Elk again today? Could have been a fun day. could have been nice sleeping in late...think it's time to take a nap right now.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2023 12:46 by ddk. Reason: popping this post back to the top of the list

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Dec 2023 12:48 #236695 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
Update

More
20 Dec 2023 13:41 #236696 by CD
Replied by CD on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
Don't go. Where the snow softened in the sun, it was paper thin and rocky. Where it didn't, frozen death. Even the much touted Queens Run was horrible and ungroomed. In fact, Crystal groomed zero last night. Don't give them your money no matter what the report says until they get another foot of snow.

• scottomatic
  • [scottomatic]
More
20 Dec 2023 13:57 #236697 by scottomatic
Replied by scottomatic on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
This here (sun) made up for that there. (Ice)

Was interesting to see the little container/retailer across from the Chinook chair went kablooey overnight. Very thankful this didn’t happen with anyone around. Woof
Attachments:

More
20 Dec 2023 18:14 #236700 by cjb
Replied by cjb on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
Thanks for the reports, here's mine:

Started bright and early at noon, anything getting full sun is skiable but rocky and muddy. Anything in the shade is treacherous, hard boilerplate. Tough to put a positive spin on the conditions, probably not enough snow for grooming machines. I thought it could'nt get worse than last week and continue to operate, but it has. I recall similar conditions 20+ years ago this time of year and the area being closed. Best was probably Tinkerbell on the man made snow in the afternoon.

More
20 Dec 2023 19:38 #236701 by Binx
Replied by Binx on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
DDK, oops ddk, that's better,
After all these years I thought you knew better!
I'm not sure how sitting in the lodge will improve conditions right now?
Were you waiting for a foot or two of snow or the same crap with some sun,
Just think if you did not have a pass, it's only 179.00 tomorrow.
If you go X-mas shopping at the Right angle and buy a bunch of gifts, it's
only 2.00 for a bag.
Merry X-mas everybody.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
20 Dec 2023 20:31 #236702 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Crystal - 12/20 OUCH!
Happy Blue Sky Big Views Wednesday! We arrived @10:30am to find a bewildered ski crowd trying to navigate the thin cover. Repeated top-to-bottom laps involved a strategy to exploit the sharp edges of my carvers while avoiding base damage.

Lucky Shot: the two steep faces were especially thin so am recommending skiers right; the 1st switchback ran out of snow so just left after the 1st hairpin; there is no snow on the 2nd switchback.

Downhill intersections : turn left onto Rolling Knoll but stay alert for last 10 turns; straight and you find dirt so avoid; do not turn right down the road as it is all dirt.

Stump Farm was empty *fun*. Queens was shady and slick with decent coverage. Quicksilver had best snow via snowmaking so best accessed via Snow Garden.

GV: pro course to west face ok but stay alert last 20 turns from chair. Snort Traverse and Huckleberry: independent legs and sketchy ice.

And...

The hot dog stand blew itself up @ 4:30am because the propane was left on from the weekend. Yikes! Nobody was hurt as the sirens came up the Blvd. The evidence was promptly cleaned up.