Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023

Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 May 2023 17:52 #236492 by avajane
Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023 was created by avajane
Warm Alpine temps, but great crust recovery overnight added up to really hard groomers. Went over to Crystal too early and it wasn’t open. They didn’t say why, but they could have said “Dangerous Icy Condition” and been correct. Had to slide back down to Excellerator. Went over to 7th Heaven when it still said closed, but only had to wait ten minutes to get my first “first chair” on 7th in probably 25 years of skiing there. A few good turns were had, but it was mostly hard as a rock. Five runs later it was similar…Dropped over towards Glacier
for a long ski out. Sudan’s was closed (Probably a very good thing) so I just went down Glacier Drive which had low snow, huge bumps, and generally difficult skiing that was sure to wreck some poor blue run skiers day…No skiing for me tomorrow as it’s warming up even more. Good but not great Spring week. The weekend looks way too hot.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2023 21:53 - 12 May 2023 21:56 #236494 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023

In our recent ski trip to Heavenly, I captured the 2 photos of your recent runs at Heavenly.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2023 21:56 by Zap.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 May 2023 22:21 #236496 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023
Wow! That much snow still on Gunbarrel? Love that place. I’d love to do that thing again, but with the usual freeze/thaw conditions in April, it’s usually hard as a rock till early afternoon. I would love to come down in maybe June and try to do some Eastern Sierra Backcountry…I bought a book a couple of weeks ago…

More
12 May 2023 22:47 #236497 by Zap
We have a few friends in Bishop backcountry skiing. Usually join them but I have a thigh problem. Which book did you buy? I have quite a few books for the area.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
13 May 2023 09:19 #236498 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Blackcomb Freeze/Thaw 5/11/2023
Backcountry Skiing California’s Eastern Sierra, Bridgeport to Lone Pine

by Nate Greenberg and Dan Mingori

i’ve only resort skied in California, but have hiked/climbed Matterhorn Peak, and hiked around Tioga Pass/Saddlebag Lake. Will need to find easy approach, low angle stuff for doing with Kathy as backcountry skiing isn’t her best sport.

More
14 May 2023 15:09 #236502 by Zap
The book you bought is great.

Another old book that is also helpful:
Backcountry Skiing California's High Sierra by John Moynier ,1999 by Falcon Guide.
Jill would ski with me on the shorter half day runs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: avajane