Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 03/01 Happy Sunny Left Overs

Crystal - 03/01 Happy Sunny Left Overs

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2023 14:50 #236335 by ddk
Ski Report - Short version...cold but big sun made it very pleasant, few inches new of cold smoke made everything I skied just that much better, bonus nice light crowd that spread out over the entire ski area made for no lift lines where I went.... personally, the season is really here now.

More wordy report - arrived early after another icy drive from Greenwater up, fair sized early crowd loading CHex, but gone in a few minutes, #1 headed to FQex and I bolted up REX into very happy times.  Couple groomer run to start - Big Pro Course to MIFB was fast and nice and I noticed that the rumor I heard about Xtal planning to groom what used to be Lucky Shot Trees had been groomed last night - so tucked down Little Portillo to the new groomed run which was steep and not so perfectly groomed - ruts, ridges, deep cat tracks in places, but mostly okay...Then life really started, did Sunnyside, a late Door and Memorial, all good on the top 80% but a little bouncy on the bottom of each...but it kept me nice and warm.  GV Bowl was nice after getting through the snow boulder field created by last night's cat grooming heading to Upper Ferks - not too bad, but I hate every time I see that.  Hooked up with #1 at CB lodge and after a short break we skied Rolling Knowls to REX and then out to Huckleberry to do - (cat crew finally cut a cat track from Elk Pass over - finally nice!) what #1 always want to do - Kellys Gap which had some groomed and very nice off piste areas for me....I finished with lower E which had bumps and firm and soft and everything in between....twas fun.... We bailed with tired legs around noon.

Other - At CB lodge the soup was the pea soup mix, pizza was back and the Alfredo sauce with sausage/bacon bits/onions was very tasty and big.  Crowd was ultra-light when we were there.

Other Other - Drive up was mostly mellow and safely in 4 wheel from Greenwater up...one elk in the burn area .... happily, on the other side of the guard rail.  A lot was surprisingly pushing full, B full past the shuttle stop, C was working on filling up?  Didn't notice that many folks on the slopes.   Drive down was much more pleasant and snow and ice free.    Great day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2023 15:37 #236336 by CD
Cold, clear, and a nice refresh made for another excellent day.  Northway Peak once again the run of the day with our tracks from yesterday filled in.  Immediately went back for seconds.

In the morning, I parked next to ddk.  He left before me and when I got to my car, 2 cars were parked where his one car was.  Neither car had an A-lot pass.  Could barely get in my car to leave.  nice.

More
01 Mar 2023 19:21 #236338 by Binx
Replied by Binx on topic Crystal - 03/01 Happy Sunny Left Overs
The new name for what was once Lucky shot trees is--
Drum roll please-- BIG SHOT!!
This is from Cory- head cat driver.
It will be better after the second and third groom.
Cory says it is steeper than Plunge.

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2023 20:55 #236339 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Crystal - 03/01 Happy Sunny Left Overs
Thanks for the  info Binx...figured it would need at least a couple of grooming's to get prime...and it was steep and way longer than the Plunge...but I guess if a slide for life was involved, they are similar...but the trees in the Big Shot might hurt more.

More
02 Mar 2023 15:14 #236341 by BB
I had been enjoying the soft snow in Big Shot for a few weeks now so sorry to hear that it is being groomed. I am hoping Crystal gets tired of grooming something so steep and lets it go natural again.