Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 02/22 Fresh snow and Cold

Crystal - 02/22 Fresh snow and Cold

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Feb 2023 16:42 #236312 by ddk
Ski Report - Another happy rodent day,  skied from the far north of GV Bowl (skiers right close to the big groomed Pro Course) to MIFB a number of times early and then skied Old Sunnyside proper, GG (Greg's gulch), M-World (Memorial Forest from upper Ferks), bounced way south to Outer Ferks (skiers right of what used to be Lucky Shot trees - will be sad when they start grooming that pitch...should be left alone to allow off piste skiers some happy steeps...but Xtal is on a grooming mission).  Did all that before heading over to check out CB lodge conditions - ouch!   Snow quality pretty nice, still bouncy in places but there is some really nice quality left overs from the recent snows.  Only groomers I did were MIFB (the EXP's were very happy skiing it) and Rolling Knolls when I headed back to REX after the CB lodge visit.  Vis was pretty nice all day with lots of filtered sunish conditions.  No lift lines on REX made me happy.  Twas pretty cold feeling which made me happy that I got to get a workout on some more challenging terrain.  Fun morning!

Other - Arrived CB lodge a little earlier than yesterday and it was already packed!  All those parents of the Free Ride competitors (one mom told me that the Palisades group had 25 kids with another group from Seirra Tahoe - ouch! and a real pain early in the morning with them filling up the Igloo at the base - I opted for peace and quiet up in the closed Rafters - closed why?)  Anyway, the soup was the Gumbo stuff...pizza was available, so I opted for a massive vegy slice - twas good.  As noted, the lodge was packed but it was a pleasant surprise when I got to socialize with Eskinmo and Scotsman, both of which I had not seen much of this year...plus other hard-core regulars.

Other Other - Drove up ultra early again today...didn't notice any elk again...hhhmmm?  Drive down was to early but even more pleasant - got pretty chilled today and tomorrow sounds even worse...and the competition looks to be going on till Friday...double whammy with the local kids on the never-ending break from school again?  Don't remember ever getting as many breaks as kids get these days.  Drive home was in the sun most of the way - just down valley from the ski area.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.