Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 02/21 Stormy Powder day

Crystal - 02/21 Stormy Powder day

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Feb 2023 16:20 #236310 by ddk
Ski Report - Short version.... better than expected, stormier than expected, busier than expected (lots of Tahoe folks today that I talked to and not all cause of the free ride comp), snowing a lot more than expected, as windy as expected, and more enjoyable than expected, and the lift lines were way better than I expected...what an un-expected day!

And the Long version for folks who like to read - Nasty early winds blowing up valley through the parking lots made me think - oh no!  Big IFSA crowd in the condom made me even more apprehensive - oh no! A massive covid event happening!  But do to conditions they spent a lot of the early morning in the condom.  Early lift line for CHex was busy but reasonable, all the lifts spinning even with the big top wind gusts - even the Bucket!  Wind direction coming from just the right direction...almost no wind on the front side of REX and it was nuking snow most of the morning - making it deep in lots of places - way more than 2 inches - way more! Only early negative was the vis was incredibly bad - all I could see was the floaties in my old eyeballs and that I also did not trust the conditions under all that new cold snow - mistake! Vis popped around 9:30 enough to get some great warm up runs in GV Bowl - yee haa...improved vis sucked me into old SunnySide proper - good enough to suck me into BP skiers hard left - should have gotten there earlier, and then a happy run in M-World - haven't done that enough this season.  Snowing hard all morning, filling in with the wind help.  Might be impressive tomorrow!  Groomers I did (LS and MIFB) very nice with deep cut up snow piles that felt good when you could see them. Basic report - Twas fun, glass was over half full and the brick of salt was big!  Ultra cold temps are coming for us wimpy folks of the northwest.

Other - Stopped into CB lodge kinda  latish.... very busy and weekend mess when I finally left.  No pizza today - rumor lack of staff?  Soup was a Gumbo thingy, pretty tasty.  Been a long time since I've been in CB lodge that was packed with lots of non-Crystal regulars and what - almost no food available?  

Other other - Drove up extra early just cause, drive was nice and mellow with snow falling above Greenwater...didn't notice any elk this morning?  Drive down was early enough to be at speed and pleasant.  Special folks' lot was big enough, rest of A was pushing 3/4 - how many legal?  B and C had a heck of a lot of cars.... biggest Tuesday crowd I've seen when there was not 20" of new snow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.