Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal questions

Crystal questions

• Skiteach
  • [dkoon]
More
19 Feb 2023 17:47 #236303 by Skiteach
Crystal questions was created by Skiteach
Hey everyone, I have a few questions regarding Crystal. Just saw the half price ticket sale which ends tomorrow, so. . . 
I want to meet my son there, who'll be coming down from Bellingham. I'll be coming from Portland. 
Due to schedule conflicts, it looks like we can either do it next weekend, 25/26, or we have to wait until sometime in April. 
1: How is it skiing in April? Similar, I'd imagine to Hood, i.e. spring-like. Could be good, or? 
2: Lodging. My son has used an Airbnb in Enumclaw that he's liked, but it's booked for next weekend. 
I did see the Guesthouse in Enumclaw with space available next weekend; anyone stay there before, and/or anyone have any other recommendations that are halfway affordable? 
Any places closer to Crystal? Probably more $$$. 

That's it for now. Totally appreciate any insights and info. I've only been to Crystal once, years ago, now, and really dug it. Looking forward to another trip. 
Cheers! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skiteach
  • [dkoon]
More
20 Feb 2023 16:57 #236304 by Skiteach
Replied by Skiteach on topic Crystal questions
Dumb questions? No responses? 

More
20 Feb 2023 17:57 - 20 Feb 2023 18:39 #236305 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Crystal questions
Crystal should be still spinning the lifts in April, but check with guests service for sure, as they will be winding things down, new construction, patrol starting to thin out to guide in the mountains, etc.  spring corn season for sure.  
if I were you, I say Drive up to B Ham, hang in town with your son, great vibe in that Hip Town, hit Mt. Baker for April Powder laps or tour out to the Arm and hit up chair 9 in Valhalla ( Glacier) classic ski bar, get back to B Ham for some Hippie type hanging out.  
Mt Baker is going off big time this year. Save some cash on your tickets and food and soak in the real deal vibe of old school skiing on a big mountain without paying for parking. Have a great time with your son.  Snow is snow 
just my point of view, I’m an old Crystal guy( 20 years of slepping boo)) that has moved north and now has fallen  in love with Baker.  
think snow 
Last edit: 20 Feb 2023 18:39 by Bill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skiteach

More
20 Feb 2023 20:49 #236306 by myikat
Replied by myikat on topic Crystal questions
Not dumb questions but traffic on TAY seems to have dried up. Depending on the season April can be great at Crystal- last year was epic. No comment on lodging but midweek at the Elk isnt too crazy. I would much rather ski Crystal than Baker even tho they get way more snow. Terrain at Crystal is way superior, especially for skiers willing to hike. IMHO, of course. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skiteach

• Skiteach
  • [dkoon]
More
20 Feb 2023 21:21 #236307 by Skiteach
Thank you, Bill. Great response! 

• Skiteach
  • [dkoon]
More
20 Feb 2023 21:24 #236308 by Skiteach
Thanks Miyakat. Good info, for sure! 

More
21 Feb 2023 07:51 #236309 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Crystal questions
I agree with your response, Baker slack country is the real deal ( no control work at all) the Arm is so inviting as it’s right there. If you want a little more for your boot pack or skin track, well  Mt Shuksan is right there for you with its hanging glaciers and true no fall zones, but yup Crystal has more challenging area, that is controlled.