Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day

Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2023 14:43 #236233 by ddk
Ski Report - Limited info since for various issues it was a rodent treadmill kinda day...which was very fun for a Hamster.  Skied only 4 different runs today - typical rodent treadmill day.... first run of many was GV Bowl bumps to MIFB - kinda firmish early, but improved as the brain and muscles improved, skied LS a number of times and it was very nice wall to wall grooming...and I skied Rolling Knolls twice - more about that later.  Grooming is great and smooth, but even on a Monday thing can get scrapped down in spots to snow that required sharper edges than I have.  Big Sun all day, warmer than expected - almost toasty...big views from Hood to Baker and all the peaks in-between.  No lift lines, but lots of ants at times in places around the mountain.  Saw one big skier do Brraindamage and looked good doing it.  Didn't notice many folks doing PB or BP but I probably was not paying attention enough.   Ended up for a short day very nice...gonna have more skiing with #1 tomorrow.

Other - Went into CB lodge to check the soup condition kinda early...the Hamster Treadmill skiing was making me tired?  Soup was Butter Squash something...nice flavor...but since I'm building a reputation with the servers, I got a custom soup/teriyaki fixings bowl - still a to small cup...but gotta say it was tasty.... forgot to thank the person who made it for me, so had to go back before I left to thank him...and at that point the lodge was packed!

Other Other - Drove up ultra-late for various reasons...nice to drive in day light all the way...not so nice driving in a pack of wimps following the ultimate wimp...so the drive up was kinda long...arrived in the A lot (still got a great spot) around 8:35....since I was solo, it was boots on and arrive at CHex about 3  minutes after first load...I kinda like that part...big wide empty chair!   When I left just after noon A lot might have been half full, B and C lots had lots of cars - more than I expected for a Monday, but it was mostly widely spaced rows of bad parking...Drive down was very pleasant at speed in the afternoon sun.  Didn't see any Elk today which surprised me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Jan 2023 17:20 #236234 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day
And what about Rolling Hole ddk???

The mountain is a mix of (other than Powder Bowl) really firm, icy firm, and ice. Where smooth, almost carvable. Our day ended early, our skiing ended early, after one broken leg and one extreme concussion. Watch out for the icy groomers and people that turn in front of you. Nothing softened by noon, and nothing good in the forecast at least until our brains heal. Shout out to the ski patrol, both those working and on their day off. A scary day.

Sidebar - the top of Six is a rocky mess with mandatory rocky sidestepping.

More
30 Jan 2023 17:48 #236235 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day

Our day ended early, our skiing ended early, after one broken leg and one extreme concussion.

Hoping for quick healing and full recovery

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
30 Jan 2023 19:45 #236236 by Quick foot
Replied by Quick foot on topic Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day
Gee CMSkier, your group sure has had the bad luck with injuries. I hope this is nothing really serious and you're all back on the slopes soon.

We spent most of the day on the groomers. The best of which was Lucky Shot.  I did try Powder Bowl one time and it was one and done, mostly because of the extremely rocky top that CM skier mentioned.  Where I came down was really scrappy where it had been skied and frozen chunky where it hadn't. I spent most of my run during one turn on the scraped and the next on the chunky. The Geen Valley Gondy face had some good skiing if you picked the right line. Frerkburg was just a little too firm for my liking.  I got down it by pile skiing.

The beautiful sunny day meet up for the less than stellar snow conditions.

Attachments:

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Jan 2023 21:01 #236237 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Crystal - 01/30 Big Sun Treadmill Day
I want to extend my heart felt thoughts for the injured....