Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven

Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jan 2023 16:29 #236198 by ddk
Expected a post from lots of others by now.... well, here is mine....

Ski Report - Hamster fun...great groomers that I and #1 did, great lack of participation from the masses.... but almost all the regulars showed up...no lift lines, great baby bump skiing for happy old wimpy quads - GV Bowl and LS upper face bumps...fun screaming down MIFB as it got softer all morning - 1pm it was turning to springish soft...might not be so nice tomorrow morning.  Only negative was the downhill ski racers who use wimpy old people as GS gates...Some areas like main line LS got scraped down to nice ice-skating quality...but the edges and bumps were happy for an old hamster.  Not much else to report other than pretty much great vis in the core area and that #1 had a good workout...and my quads do hurt.

Other - Planned on eating my Hess Bakery sandwich at CB lodge but #1 made me split a Rice Bowl  with her...my half  with the teriyaki sauce was good (#1 is gluten sensitive), Soup from what I saw was  the  Pulled Pork Corn Gouda soup...still looked good with rumors of other not from a Cisco bags of soup on the list...almost want to go and check out the left  overs tomorrow.   Crowd at CB lodge was light but almost all the regulars showed up to ???  Talk???

Other Other - Drove up kinda early for a "real" weekday to all kinds of other "regulars"? pulling in at the same time.  Drive was pleasant at speed as was the drive down late afternoon.... well 1pmish...late for us.  Special folks' lot was past full, rest of A lot might have been 2/3ish full, fair number of cars in B and C lots....and that was about it.    

Fun day in the Hamster treadmill, fun to ski with #1 and the last few runs with Ross the Stien Erikson of Crystal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Subcommander
  • [Durkin314]
More
17 Jan 2023 18:33 #236199 by Subcommander
Replied by Subcommander on topic Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven
Ross Gregg was the first person to ski the Queen, and did it the second year CM was open. Then he was on the Jackson Hole ski patrol for ten years. Later his Head Standards from the era were on display in the day lodge mezzanine. A true legend.

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jan 2023 20:23 #236201 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven
Thanks for the post....in 1964 I was 10 and it would be another 5 years before I would have the privilege of learning to ski at Crystal (thanks mom and dad! who gave me a lifelong passion) .... I've been lucky to have Ross allowing me to ski with him as well as another legend of Crystal - Steve Ferkovich. I hope I am still able to ski as nicely as them for as long. 

More
18 Jan 2023 15:32 #236202 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven
Steve Ferk, is a monster , I used to patrol with him and loved skiing and climbing in his tracks.  I hope to get down to CM this winter, I’m way north now so Baker has been my go to of late.   Ferk is the MAN. 

• Subcommander
  • [Durkin314]
More
18 Jan 2023 17:24 #236203 by Subcommander
Replied by Subcommander on topic Crystal - 01/17 Fun in Hamster Heaven
Steve was on the University of Colorado ski team with (can't exactly remember, ask him) Jimmy Heuga or Billy Kidd or maybe both. Another legend.