Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Crystal - 12/12/2022 BIG SUN up high

Crystal - 12/12/2022 BIG SUN up high

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Dec 2022 15:05 #236135 by ddk
Ski Report - I'm BACK!  Sorry!  Especially for the way too many words in this report...but I been going through sever withdrawal symptoms.... Finally recovered enough lung capacity to go skiing which made  #1 happy also... (both of us not 100% but better).  And the skiing?  Pretty nice started with a number of FQex runs, grooming was kinda variable, some really nice, some kinda bouncy, vis was okay, sunny at the top of FQex and kinda fuzzy at the bottom early...CH6 and REX looked very nice up in the SUN!   When #1 decided it was a needed break time in CB lodge, I bolted up REX to the sunny fun zone and it was really fun...finally got my first happy bump skiing of the season, nice bumps in  GV Bowl and when I did LS bumps on the way down to hook up with #1 again.  Coverage seemed great everywhere I had the time and legs to go - and I don't have much leg or lungs.  With all the lifts spinning the lift lines were not noticeable.  Views of the big volcano were spectacular.  Grooming seems to be getting better based on what I've heard and I gotta say the packed left-over bumps are GREAT!  We actually made it till noon and pulled out at 12:30 - big first real day for both of us.

Other - Passed through CB lodge to hook up with #1 late morning...soup was same old same old Tomato Bisque (and the workers don't know me yet, so I started plugging for some Chicken Nooooooddddlllllleeeee!) .  Pizza was typical peperoni or cheese by the slice - Crystal please get a clue and have a nice "real" pizza by the slice!  #1 oinked a burger and I got the left-over fries.  

Other Other - Drive was actually nice, only noticed 3 elk (one with a collar) just before Fed Forest, traffic was surprisingly light for as late as we drove up...did not pull into the A lot till 8:15 and were only a row back from the special folks parking area.  When we left A lot was at most half full as was B lot and a fair number of cars in C lot.  Drive down was pleasantly at cruise control speed.

Other Other Other - Hopefully one of BB, Binx or CD will actually fill in all the great places they got to ski that I did not....and BB it's the last day you'll get to Crystal before me this season. 

Twas fun and great to be back on the mountain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2022 15:16 #236136 by CD
Replied by CD on topic Crystal - 12/12/2022 BIG SUN up high
Glad ddk is back.  A couple things to add.  Best skiing on the mountain was Powder Bowl once you picked your way through the rocks on top.  Not one inch of that new snow from Friday night stuck up there.  Wind just blew it off.  Ferkberg is still not groomed, but the big bumps are nicely spaced all the way down making for a great (quad burning) bump run.  Still not grooming anything back on Snorting Elk which is a big disappointment.  Lots of people coming out of there complaining in the lift line.  Blazing Elk right skis well, then the bumps in the trees on the right side are easier than trying to ski down the normal run.  Lots of sun ahead this week. 

More
12 Dec 2022 17:12 #236137 by BB
Replied by BB on topic Crystal - 12/12/2022 BIG SUN up high
Adding my 2 cents. 
First the ddk challenge to arrive before him again. I debated in my mind but the alternative to stay in my nice warm bed for another 30-60 minutes ended that debate quickly.
Second, the top of C6. Crystal gave something a try with mixed results. They laid down a board with some kind of fabric on top to edge into and step down. The fabric was getting scraped off and was then pretty slippery. A good effort but needs some refinement.
I wish I had a picture while riding up Rex. The trees were highlighted white like someone went overboard with an enhancement filter. The sky was the bluest I have ever seen in the PNW. Even when I lifted my goggles it was "that blue".
BUT foggy mid-mountain making for some braille skiing at times.
Driving down came across 2 elk at the 35mph sign into Greenwater. Very close to the road and right to the fog line after I passed. The car behind my swerved way over to clear them.