Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > 4/4/22 Bottomless at Whistler

4/4/22 Bottomless at Whistler

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Apr 2022 21:29 #235880 by avajane
4/4/22 Bottomless at Whistler was created by avajane
20 inches overnight with high winds and full storm made for some excellent, but very difficult skiing most of the day. Being an April Monday, I underestimated the enthusiasm for the new snow and
went out the door right at 8:30. 10 minutes later I got to the back of the singles line at the Creekside Gondola by the Whistler Creek Bridge (almost to Evolution!) luckily the line went fast and I was on the lift by 9:15. Winds were high up top, so I started my day going to Garbonzo. With loosely buckled boots, I nearly face planted the first time I hit the deep, heavy snow near the lift loading. I decided To try to ski steep all day…Seppo’s was a great
start, and then I did Raven and the racecourse. To ski the very deep chop was exhausting, as I had to charge very hard to keep my tips from getting buried. My fault,  as I was skiing only 96 underfoot with no Rocker…And it was heavy snow down low. I did Raven again and then went into the low angle Club 21 which was a mistake. Back up for A great Bear Paw, and I was about wrecked. Sucked it up and had a good soft bounce down Goats Gully and up to the Roundhouse for lunch. By then, the fog had moved in, but Patrol had opened the T Bar so I was semi stoked to try a no visibility high traverse to Boomer Bowl. The traverse wasn’t in and I couldn’t see a thing,  but somehow I made Boomer Bowl after kicking off a 12” slab along the way. What should have been a highlight was a very difficult ride down snow that was just too deep for me. The steep part of the bowl was ok, but superfats or a board were needed for the rest. I bailed back over to McConkeys and limped down to Emerald and eventually skied out to Creekside Base in softening conditions. Good, hard day that could have been Epic with my Hellbents…

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.