Whistler 4/3/22

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Apr 2022 15:20 #235871 by avajane
Whistler 4/3/22 was created by avajane
Top to bottom Blizzard much of the day. Alpine at each area opened for a few minutes before closing due to winds…
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Powderchaser Steve
  • [sconney]
More
03 Apr 2022 16:34 #235872 by Powderchaser Steve
Replied by Powderchaser Steve on topic Whistler 4/3/22
How was the density of the new snow??  Do you think things will pop on the 4th?

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Apr 2022 17:22 #235873 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Whistler 4/3/22
Very good snow for April. No issues turning on 96 Mantras. The Alpine was hidden to me all day, however, and it was very windy. Good storm snow,, flat light riders will have a good day in the Alpine tomorrow if it opens. Not the deepest base for tree skiing. I will go backcountry Wednesday to turn on fresh snow only. Probably low angle…
Attachments:

• Powderchaser Steve
  • [sconney]
More
03 Apr 2022 17:32 #235874 by Powderchaser Steve
Replied by Powderchaser Steve on topic Whistler 4/3/22
I am headed your way and I've not been there for several years. Do they usually pop glacier harmony or Symphony 1st? I don't suspect the Alpine will open tomorrow. However I would assume that one or two of those chairs will open and not sure who has the steepest and best rain. Any ideas from your experience knowing the operations I'm seeing 8 to 11 inches tonight from my forecast experience and perhaps 1 to 4 during the day tomorrow with moderate wins possibly strong in the morning and then decreasing is it likely they will open the peak of the winds subside or they normally wait at least one day

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Apr 2022 20:37 #235877 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Whistler 4/3/22
Glacier Chair normally opens first. But everything will be complicated because of wind direction, wind slab, lighting and visibility.  If we get 11 more tonight it will be bottomless except on ridge lines and scoured faces like 7th Heaven. I start on Whistler so would probably be skiing Franz’s Meadow early. Plenty of other tree areas on the east side of Roundhouse and dropping to the Harmony - Emerald traverse. Garbanzo may also work, but puts you far away from the Alpine when it opens. Symphony opens last and has the best tree skiing/visibility.   If you can see, Whistler Bowl is a good bet for steeper powder, but you need to learn the best routes there yourself. Harmony will be really good on one side of the ridge or the other. Frontier Pass and Upper Peak to Creek have great stuff but visibility can be tough. Spankey’s Ladder will be overrun fast, but has steeps that will be fun if deep. If you can find your way to Sapphire Bowl and like pure steeps it could be great - or you could huck a cliff in bad light….

Good luck if you come. I expect to really find my best turns on Tuesday or Wednesday in better weather, and preserved places.