Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Brundage Mt Resort 3/20/21

Brundage Mt Resort 3/20/21

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Mar 2021 18:23 #234902 by avajane
Brundage Mt Resort 3/20/21 was created by avajane
First time ever at this nicely laid out and ran resort near McCall Idaho. Stayed less than 20 minutes away and for some reason got in the lift right when it opened at 9. Parking was nicely managed, efficient, and close. It had snowed 3" the night before, but apparently it was raining on the bottom half of the mountain. The 3" new on top was nearly unturnable. Sooo...it was rock hard groomers, for a 22 degree breakfast. We started on a modern high speed Quad, right at the main lodge. Good line up system, and someone checking masks in line. The grooming was a little rough, but I think the bad weather the day before made it difficult. There was a nice map on top of the 2000' vertical, and great views in all directions. We
scooted down the easy ridge to the right and skied the longest run on the mountain first. It was a green run, but would have been a blue on most mountains. The blues were just a little steeper, and the blacks were mostly the same but with bumps. Good signage everywhere. We went up a long, slow 4 person chair to the right, and went to ski Lakeview, a backside run in the sun, hoping for some softness. It must have caught some sun the day before, because it was really a loud and bumpy slide! The last pitch was probably the steepest Blue I've ever seen, and had everyone either side sliping or making very careful, important turns! Once things warmed up, all of the groomed runs (front and back) were good fun. 

On my last run, I went to an advanced area to the north. The snow was too nasty to really ski, but I saw good potential. There were some very steep double diamond chutes, and lots of well pitched glades that would have been a blast in the powder. There was also another area further north, but still in their permit zone that was apparently open, but unpatrolled or avy controlled. I just slid down the boundry line - that at least had a singlewide groomed trail down it.

All in all, a fine, uncrowded day at a nice, Steven's Pass sized resort. I rode one lift (with a new owner) that had plans for adding new lifts very soon. He said that they get lots of great powder days, and have the best snow in Idaho! With several more lifts, and with another area (Tamarack) nearby - McCall could become somewhat of a destination resort. It is certainly a nice stop on a drive home from Sun Valley.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2021 18:13 #234903 by myikat
Replied by myikat on topic Brundage Mt Resort 3/20/21
great beta. been wondering. thnx

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Mar 2021 22:29 #234904 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Brundage Mt Resort 3/20/21
And what I didn’t mention is lots of side country immediately adjacent to the resort. The backside looked mellow, but to the north there was some good terrain.