Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Stevens Pass January 5th, 2020

Stevens Pass January 5th, 2020

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jan 2021 15:20 #234420 by avajane
Stevens Pass January 5th, 2020 was created by avajane
Got up a little late and went right up to Tye Mill around 10 as it opened. Went to Southern Cross for the first time this season, and had a good time skiing the Strong Powder! Skiers far left, then left of chair, then in the chop underneath. Athletic, deep snow, and fun for me to ski with my Hellbents!  The snow needed to be skied pretty direct! Did a couple of laps and then took Double Diamond exit down and left and eventually in the trees. Great run! Had to end the day early because of work, but it wasn a good day nevertheless. I'm sure the chop got very heavy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
05 Jan 2021 15:54 #234421 by Quick foot
Replied by Quick foot on topic Stevens Pass January 5th, 2020
Stevens Tuesday

Coverage is good right now. The rocks and most of the puckerbrush are covered. What has covered them is good high density base building snow. The downsides is the stuff is pretty gloppy and hard to turn in. It's especially bad when you ski snow that's just getting cut up, before it gets skied up so that you have piles and then ruts and then glop all in a small area which throws your butt all over the place. My two ski buddies skied on their all mountain midfats and I skied on my 108cm powder boards. I was only doing marginally better than they were. In addition to that the light was really flat, which made it hard to see the snow texture,  

The crowd wasn't bad at all. It looks like the holliday rush is over, however, it was pretty crowded for a typical Tuesday after New Year's. The lines were mostly short walk ups. The backside was open but the off piste snow was even gloppier. It wasn't our best day.  I'm sure it would've helped to be there for first tracks as Avajane did.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jan 2021 23:39 #234429 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Stevens Pass January 5th, 2020
What helped me was 132 under foot! Hard to ski and tiring! But hey! That is some water content! Yes - the flat light made it hard to see big ruts and I was thrown around some.