March 9, 2020 Blackcomb

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Mar 2020 16:47 - 10 Mar 2020 18:07 #233607 by Zap
March 9, 2020 Blackcomb was created by Zap
We spent the evening near the saltwater in Squamish with a great view of "The Wall" and Shannon Falls. It takes about 40 minutes to drive to the parking lot near the mid station for the Excalibur Gondola. I like walking only about 40 steps to get on snow. It is a sickness.

We rode the gondola and wore our neck gaiters just in case someone was coughing - no coughers or sneezers on board.  It was a cold, sunny day with no wind and temperatures in mid-teens. It did get a bit warmer. Yes, we followed the sun: rode the Excelerator gondola, Jersey Cream express, and then skied runs off 7th Heaven express. We rode the singles line and met some friendly folks from WA, UK, BC and a Japanese ski mountaineering guide. We got wonderful photos of Whistler and parts of the Spearhead Traverse which I did a few (!) years ago with a few other folks, whom I also ski toured around Black Tusk.

As the sun moved to other areas, we moved. Jersey Cream was fast with very few folks. Then to the area used by the ski schools with short folks. The new Catskinner express has one small steep area. The area is great for kids with the Terrain Garden and the Magic Castle.
This was our first time here since last May 2019, and we saw the new Blackcomb Gondola. It's in a great position with upload and download capability at the mid station. It was a great day. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.