Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Easter Sunday, Stevens

Easter Sunday, Stevens

• wolfs
  • [wolfs]
More
09 Apr 2007 12:39 #213042 by wolfs
Easter Sunday, Stevens was created by wolfs
Great fun and good enough weather at Stevens on Easter. I took my daughter and she had a good time. Great place & time for kids to go skiing. Incredibly low numbers of people there. At one point I surveyed the backside and could see only 3-4 people skiing on ANY of the runs visible from Southern Cross.

Dummy Downhill was a riot to watch, they dropped at least 200vf on a berm-bounded course with several big jumps. Semi controlled chaos. 5ft SpongeBob on a dual-snowboard 'ski' setup, a Rasta dummy sitting on a toilet, and a VERY heavy couch were the highlights. The couch nearly jumped the berm several times, causing scattering of specators who didn't take the keep-off-the-berm warnings quite seriously until then. Got skunked on egg hunt due to seconds too late arrival but the Easter bunny came through later in the day.

Front side was probably 5 degrees cooler and had what most people would consider better snow. But for gwancy afficianados, the backside was goin' off. Wet, thick and steamy, as if freshly delivered from the bowels of Gwanchzilla hisself. Gooey but not sticky, allowing for great fast wider-is-better superGS turns that maybe you'd be bummed if you were earning them, but on liftserv it's all good. Soft bumps on Double Diamond made it seem like a blue run even when taking it fast, with perfect compression piles. Also good conditions for the time in the morning when I was skiing with my daughter and I was trying to log some tele practice time.

Mostly partly sunny, not always my definition of t-shirt weather but others were clad thusly. A little foggier at 10 but cleared mostly, and by 2:45 when we were taking our last run obvious wind/cooling foretold the light sprinkles we encountered only on drive back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.