Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > November 30 Crystal Mt.

November 30 Crystal Mt.

• Eric Lindahl
  • [ejlindahl]
More
30 Nov 2006 19:55 #212577 by Eric Lindahl
November 30 Crystal Mt. was created by Eric Lindahl
All that great snow is gone, the wind did its thing. I did laps in south back and skied Silver Basin each time. The snow is back to its usual PNW texture; dense, some wind pack but quite skiable. In contrast to the over the head stuff just a day or so ago I was sinking in only about a foot on each turn. Very fun but not the same. I was encouraged that the warm up did not lend any dampness quality to the snow, its just dense. I saw no evidence of rain or freezing rain that might have occured last nite. So it should be still very skiable Friday and barring any warming, the packed and chopped up stuff will be excellent throught the weekend. Patrol said that they were not getting any "results" on their bomb runs. I skied about a 40 degree (controlled) slope and it seemed quite stable just a minimal sluff. It didn't seem slabby either despite the 10-20+ MPH winds that blew much of the day. Patrol will try and get North back open this weekend, probably not tomorrow, (Friday). Enjoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Nov 2006 20:47 #212578 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: November 30 Crystal Mt.
I considered it pretty good skiing today.  Lots of folks were having fun in Campbell Basin and Powder Bowl.  Whatever.... this is darn good snow for Crystal. 

Blue sky in the morning, Weather hiding the top by 1:00, nasty by 3:00, but all good skiing.

Lots of dynamite going off this morning.  I was wondering where they keep all that stuff. 

Yea, we are back to Pineapple Express Pow for now.  But there is lots of it.

More
01 Dec 2006 11:34 #212579 by Bandit
Replied by Bandit on topic Re: November 30 Crystal Mt.
Yes, back to the typical PNW snow conditions. Variable snow conditions existed all over, depending on what exposure aspect you skiied.

I found The Green Valley area to be pretty good. Mostly in the trees, protected from the wind.

My favorite run of the day was in The Bear Pits. Soft, wind protected, about ankle to knee deep.

Plus, it also helps to have 110mm under foot. Wide skis for those windy, blown crust, semi-powder, dry, new/old layers of snow.

Great base for November. Hope it stays cold.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Dec 2006 15:17 #212580 by Larry_Trotter
For me it's hard to get bored with Crystal because it's can be different all the time.  But I would love to go back to Thursday morning in Snorting Elk Bowl... sunshine, blue sky, skiing through the powder and the trees.  I am not an expert powder skier (don't get to see that much of it.), but what a thrill to make those easy sweeping turns... I need more of that.   And it seems like there is just not enough time to cut all the lines. (good for the other skiers.) 

Skiing the ungroomed stuff made me realize what great terrain Crystal has.  I wonder what is going to happen when they get the Northback ski lift built?  Maybe just take pressure off the Rex?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Dec 2006 19:32 #212581 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: November 30 Crystal Mt.

Skiing the ungroomed stuff made me realize what great terrain Crystal has.  I wonder what is going to happen when they get the Northback ski lift built?

If you like untracked snow, it won't be an improvement. The Northback will get cut up really fast when the new lift is in, I think.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Dec 2006 13:37 #212582 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: November 30 Crystal Mt.
Read my lifts: No new taxis!

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Dec 2006 13:50 #212583 by Larry_Trotter
Ski NW on NWCN tv did a segment on Crystal a few weeks ago.  I taped the whole thing.  Out of a half hour program, it came out to 15 minutes of non-commercial content.  Of course Ski NW progams really are commercials.  I have to believe that the resorts pay to get on or give comp.

Anyway, here is a link to a clip I put together where they discuss the tram and new lift to Northback.  Some good powder shots too.

www.lawrencetrotter.com/MiscPIcs/Crystal_Clip.wmv