Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Aug. 26, 2006, Craigieburn Range, New Zealand

Aug. 26, 2006, Craigieburn Range, New Zealand

• cascadesfreak
  • [cascadesfreak]
More
27 Aug 2006 01:17 #212524 by cascadesfreak
Aug. 26, 2006, Craigieburn Range, New Zealand was created by cascadesfreak
Looking to escape the lift line crowds while still skiing "in-bounds", I decided to check out one of the ski club areas in New Zealand. The Craigieburn Range is about an hour-and-a-half drive west of Christchurch on the way to Aurthur's Pass. Much of terrain around here resembles the classic scenic backgrounds featured in the Lord of the Rings movies.

An Australian snowboarder tagged along with me, also eager to check out the Craigieburn Range. Our initial destination was the Cragieburn ski area itself, though that plan was thwarted once I discovered the rental car company had given me the wrong size tire chains (hence we couldn't get up the access road). Plan B: "Broken River" the adjoining ski club area (we were able to make it up to the lower parking area for this ski field without chains).

Unlike New Zealand's commercial ski resorts, the lifts at Broken River are about a 40-minute hike almost 1,000 vertical feet up a hillside above the lower parking lot (the access is on a trail which switch-backs up through a pleasant beech tree forest to the lower lodge). There's a 'goods lift' at the parking lot which takes ski gear up the hill, so we didn't have to lug our ski gear up the trail.

Quite an interesting experience feeling like a beginner again trying to figure out how to work the "nutcrackers" (there's no chair lifts here, just hi-speed rope tows). Metal clamps ("nutcrackers") fastened to a harness are used to attach onto the rope which drags riders quickly up the hill past a series of pulleys (much faster than T-bars). My snowboarder companion unfortunately had a very tough time with this rope tow system, and only made it all the way up the hill once. The locals would often comment "yeah, these tows are much easier on skis mate!". The ski patrol and club members here are exceptionally helpful and patient with novices, helping them out with the "nutcrackers". It took me about 6 runs to finally get the clamp to work on the first attempt.

There was a noticeably high proportion of AT/telemark skiers at this area (though not many skiing "backcountry" on this day due to the poor visibility and high avy danger). I found out later that Broken River is a common training ground for many New Zealand avalanche courses.

Foggy/snowy weather prevented access to much of the tow-serviced terrain, but the limited skiing there was still a lot of fun (~800 vertical feet off the lower tow rope). When in full operation there would be excellent open bowls and chutes to ski there and at the neighboring Craigieburn area. I felt right at home with the snow-type while we were there (classic maritime wet "powder").

We were able to ski almost all the way down to the parking lot at the end of the day. The evening drive back to the town of Methven was pleasant, with only 1 traffic jam (driving through a herd of sheep on the highway).

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2006 19:27 #212526 by kam

More
29 Aug 2006 13:34 #212527 by Zap
Thanks for the excellent reports.  Jill and I are planning an adventure to the "club fields" in 2007.  While touring the backcountry around Tahoe last year, we met some folks that run tours specifically at the "club fields".  I was surprised to learn about the number of "club fields" and it sounds like skiing was way back when.... 

Zap