Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Dachstein Glacier, Dachstein-Tauern range, Austria

Dachstein Glacier, Dachstein-Tauern range, Austria

• GregLange
  • [GregLange]
More
22 Jun 2006 07:27 #212517 by GregLange
In my continuing quest to get off the beaten path, I've been plunked down in the middle of Austria for some of my June turns. The Dachstein Glacier would remind many of you of the pitch of the Horstman Glacier, combined with the size of the Palmer Glacier. I'm here on work-related matters, to ski race for an American contingent in the "World Tourism Games". This biennial event brings in tourism-based athletes from around the globe, to schmooze, eat, drink, and be merry.

The GS race I participated in was held in 60 degree heat, and about 6 inches of muck. The snow was so soft that even 100 skiers could not make it ice up! However, I did manage to get enough runs in to gain 6800 feet of vert, so all was not lost. It's cool to see just how well ALL of the Austrians who ski do their thing. They must all get gate training from an early age.

Tomorrow, I go back to the same glacier to do a 5 km. nordic race. Even with all of my good uphill training, however, I don't expect to place in the top 3. It'll just be another June day to play in the snow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.