Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > March 29, 2006, Kirkwood - THE DAY

March 29, 2006, Kirkwood - THE DAY

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Apr 2006 11:46 #212459 by Zap
Every ski season has one and everyone has different criteria for THE DAY. For me I was parked in the lot at Kirkwood at 7800 feet and it started snowing at 2pm. By 7am the next morning, I looked out the van window and saw snow piled atop another van about 20 feet away. The sky was partly blue, it was 20 degrees, light breezes from the SW and 12 inches of new at the base and 18 on top. The ski report validated that chains were required on all roads; this is my leading indicator for a powder day. After a leisurely breakfast, I pushed open the van door and sank in powder to the top of my boots. The plow circled around the lot and there was a nice path for the 50 yards across the road to the Timber Express quad. I was quite certain the locals would be lining up at the main base of Chair 6, the Cornice quad. I was on the first chair at Timber Express and darted off the chair and through the trees towards chair 6. Sure enough I had 1st tracks thru the gully then I laid the first tracks under chair 6 as the first foursome was about to load. The cat calls from the lift corral were amusing as powder blew over my knees, down lift line. The moment has no redeeming value in life other than it brought a :)<br><br>The predominant male crowd was jostling thru the corral and that was the only lift line of the day. Todays focus was to discover untracked lines in places I have never skied at Kirkwood. It is easy to ski your favorite stashes but it is also enjoyable to approach a mountain with a beginners attitude and just discover new lines. Kirkwood has now received over 650 inches of snow this year so I found myself in terrain that is probably unskiable in normal years. After 5 hours of non stop skiing in powder, this old dog decided to head for the campervan. THE DAY was not only deep untracked powder lines; it was discovering new places with a beginners attitude. May Miracle March weather continue into April in the Sierra.<br><br>Early Morning on The Day<br> <br><br>Fantasy Ridge on Kirkwoods Backside<br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• butrsmocrver
  • [butrsmocrver]
More
01 Apr 2006 19:37 #212462 by butrsmocrver
Replied by butrsmocrver on topic Re: March 29, 2006, Kirkwood - THE DAY
Did you see any of the Freeskiing Comp! The locals and the Francie's are battling it out! I talk to my dad that live north of Truckee and he said there's more snow than he can deal with right now! I wish I could be down there to get the goods like yourself!

More
01 Apr 2006 23:33 #212463 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: March 29, 2006, Kirkwood - THE DAY
Nice report, Zap.<br>Glad you're having a good time. Jill's still not skiing, eh?

• snowchucker
  • [snowchucker]
More
04 Apr 2006 10:53 #212465 by snowchucker
Replied by snowchucker on topic Re: March 29, 2006, Kirkwood - THE DAY
I've had a pass to KW for the last 14 years and its just insane this year. During the Extreme comps this weekend people were laying down some insane lines. Every cliff band had tracks off it and losing it off a 50 footer was no big deal. they are now up to 737" for the season... this weekend is going to be good if the temps stay down.