Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > January 4, 2006, Crystal

January 4, 2006, Crystal

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Jan 2006 14:01 #212114 by Zap
January 4, 2006, Crystal was created by Zap
Art and I had a beautiful view of Rainier from Enumclaw and noticed a few clouds above the summit as we sped along the deserted highway. We engaged the 4WD on the Crystal Mt. access road which was encouraging. We arrived at the upper parking lot at 8:15 and the wind was calm. Things were very positive . With temperatures in the 20's, no wind, 5-7" of new and no crowds, we saw nothing but smiles at the base area.<br><br>Thought I saw Joe at the front of the line practicing his "I would have been to my appointment on time if my battery had not died." At 8:50 they began loading "butts" and the concentration of testosterone was dispersed. It was a wonderful day of powder skiing and there was never a lift line. We repeatedly had to stall before loading the lifts to talk to someone new. Crystal has done an excellent job of glading and there are new lines everywhere in the canopy. After the easy stuff was tracked, we headed to the North backcountry which was open at the start. We darted into Niagara and threaded the rockbands down Johnson Chute. There were so few people that I skied West Face at 1:30 with untracked lines everywhere. <br><br>Southbackcountry opened around 1pm and we headed up High Campbell. The rocks at the top of the ridge were rather dense for about the top 20vf then a traverse along the rope line avoided the ruts. We shouldered the skis and climbed towards the Throne on our way to "The King." At the base of the final climb to "The King", we peered down Avalanche Shoulder chute and it was untouched. We dropped into the Whiteroom and saw nothing until we emerged at the bottom of Avalanhe Basin with smiles and powder blown up to our navel. We both agreed that it was a perfect way to end the day. The wind was howling on the upper exposed ridges around noon and it was apparent the approaching warm front was coming.<br><br>Zap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2006 14:09 #212115 by marcr
Replied by marcr on topic Re: January 4, 2006, Crystal
This might be a dumb question, but is that area (specifically, the throne) avy controlled? I've been up there after the season (tay party), but this time of year, since you're taking the lift up, you don't have the opportunity to check out the snow conditions on the way up. Is is (relatively, knowing there are no absolutes) safe to assume that the ski patrol has set off any questionable slopes? I guess this applies to all lift-accessed backcountry, but I've been thinking about this slope itself lately.<br><br>

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Jan 2006 15:05 - 04 Jan 2006 15:06 #212116 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: January 4, 2006, Crystal

<br>Thought I saw Joe at the front of the line practicing his "I would have been to my appointment on time if my battery had not died."

<br>Darn it Zap you blew my cover. Glad you got out, would have loved to ski with you. You said it all-Perfect day!<br><br><br>And marcr that area in question is controlled, but ski at your own risk.<br><br>Joe

• BrianLee
  • [BrianLee]
More
05 Jan 2006 17:21 #212118 by BrianLee
Replied by BrianLee on topic Re: January 4, 2006, Crystal

.  Is is (relatively, knowing there are no absolutes) safe to assume that the ski patrol has set off any questionable slopes?  I guess this applies to all lift-accessed backcountry, but I've been thinking about this slope itself lately.<br><br>

<br><br>A good rule of thumb, if what you are skiing could slide into the ski area boundary then it will be controlled, but any slope that doesn't run the risk of running into the inbounds then it will not be controlled. A good example would be Cowboy and Rooster at Stevens. They do AC on Cowboy but not Rooster Comb.